Bad Momma duck lol

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MommaDuck78, Nov 14, 2019.

1. MommaDuck78

MommaDuck78 Chirping

Nov 12, 2019
    So my first pair of ducks ever is a set of beautiful muscovies. I believe they are called violet muscovies? She has the Violet coloring on her chest and in her tail feathers and he has the coloring and his tail feathers plus the stunning White. They have the best personalities. My Daisy duck laid her first egg on Veteran's Day and that was very special to me considering I am a Veteran. ❤️ I was so excited! Well she's been laying one egg everyday now except for today. Yesterday I got the advice to leave at least one or two eggs in her nest so she doesn't move her nest on me. At night time they live in a crate that I built them with a drawbridge door that gets shot and she's been laying her eggs in the morning before I let her out. Sometimes chickens go in and out of their house during the day because their door stays open and it is inside the chicken coop. So after her third egg was laid I got a little worried about them getting broken. I did plan on seeing if she would sit on them but I didn't want her to sit on the entire bunch I wanted some of the duck eggs for myself. So it's difficult because they don't sit on them until they're all laid so more chance of them getting broken is what I've read so far correct me if I'm wrong please. Lol Unfortunately I'm a bad mama duck and I'm still learning cuz I washed her three eggs before I got the advice to leave one in there and this morning she is holding her egg! the first picture I posted is of her this morning and how round she is with that egg in there still LOL Duke is being very protective of her getting in between her and I. I think he's mad I took the eggs too. I am almost done building them a lot bigger duck house just for them. I took three big crates and put them together. Then did a bunch of piece work. She will have a nesting shelf with a privacy wall. The new duck house is enclosed in what was originally my garden but ended up being the duck garden where I put their pool when they were babies. I didn't let them run around the property outside, I kept them in the enclosed area to keep them safe before they could get their wing feathers and fly. Duke is the biggest duck I have ever seen! I never knew a duck could be this big he has to be 22 pounds. I am only four foot eleven so when he started attacking me because I hand-fed him as a baby I found the solution through research that I needed to sit on him to show him who was the boss duck and I need to get him more females. I have access to them but I have to wait till their house is done. Maybe within a couple days.

Attached Files:

Raenh likes this.
  2. MommaDuck78

MommaDuck78 Chirping

Nov 12, 2019
    Their drawbridge door gets shut at night, not shot LOL

Raenh likes this.
  3. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    Quite interesting that you sat on a duck to show it who's boss. I'll have to remember that.

Raenh and MommaDuck78 like this.
  4. MommaDuck78

MommaDuck78 Chirping

Nov 12, 2019
    Yes the idea is to sit on them,a hold their wings close with your knees tight, push their beak in the dirt and poke them on the back of the head to simulate what another duck would do with his beak pecking him. Because I imprinted him and hand-fed him which I did not know was not a good idea with muscovies, he thinks I'm a duck and he's trying to mate and attack me. Doing this shows him I'm the boss duck and it simulates what another duck would do to show who's boss. It says it might take up to three times of doing it for him to stop attacking you all together, but yesterday morning after I did that he was such a good boy all day and he was attacking me every time he saw me or at least coming after me.

Raenh likes this.
  5. MommaDuck78

MommaDuck78 Chirping

Nov 12, 2019
    I'm sorry also you do it until he calms down and you feel his breathing calm down then you let him go. I hold his beak in the dirt as I release my legs but he just walks away he doesn't try to attack me as long as he's already calm

Raenh likes this.
  6. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I have a muscovy, but it's a duck not a Drake. She loves flying around the yard, but I've never handfed any of my ducks. They acted like I wanted to kill them all the time so I never really bothered trying to handle them. They're very friendly even though I never handled them.

Raenh and MommaDuck78 like this.
  7. Duck_life

Duck_life Duck Addict

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    I have muscovies.. Those are french whites I believe.. or they're just dirty.

Raenh, MommaDuck78 and FortCluck like this.
  8. MommaDuck78

MommaDuck78 Chirping

Nov 12, 2019
    My Ducks were given to me as a present when they were 6 days old. I got lucky that I got one boy and one girl. That's why I hand-fed them and cuddled them, they actually both like being held. I don't pick Duke up anymore due to his size because he hates the process of being picked up, so his claws flail around until I get him settled up against me, But I'll go outside and call for Daisy and she waddles up to me talking away and lets me pick her up and she snuggles right into me presses her beak up against the bottom of my chin. She also loves flying around the yard I will perch her on my hand and lift her up she loves doing that to lift off.

Raenh and Duck_life like this.
  9. Duck_life

Duck_life Duck Addict

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Do you have a picture of daisy?

Raenh likes this.
  10. MommaDuck78

MommaDuck78 Chirping

Nov 12, 2019
    No that's part of their coloring LOL

Raenh and Duck_life like this.