Bad Mommy!–Duck stepped on hatching eggs, but I'm hopeful

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jenniealice, Oct 19, 2011.

1. jenniealice

jenniealice Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    My little pekin "Lady Bird" completely crushed three eggs today. Every search I did on the internet about broken shells and membranes came up hopeless, but hours later in this ordeal, I'm hopeful. One egg had no response and obvious fluid and blood loss, but the other two were peeping and wriggling away. I took them and put them in my incubator, and one has pushed its way completely out. Unfortunately its still attached by an umbilical, but looks energetic for what its been through. Its got the other one riled up and I expect it will be out soon too. I'm keeping the humidity high since the membranes are so sticky. Fingers crossed these little miracles pull through the night.

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Good luck with your new babies. The first one hatched should be fine and just leave it to detach itself from the shell. The other should follow soon [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

3. jenniealice

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks for the encouragement. I need it tonight. When I saw the shape of the eggs in the nest I was devastated: they looked absolutely squashed. It's amazing how tough these guys are!

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Sometimes nature finds a way but yourchicks sound vigourous enough to stand the egg being squashed a little. Just leave the chicks to rest and fluff up in the incubator and hope the second one makes it out of its shell ok.

Best of luck [​IMG]

5. jenniealice

Oct 18, 2011
    Update:
    Second little one got out of its shell, but the first one is still attached to its cord. Both are quite weak and wobbly, (scooting, but no way are they going to stand yet) but peeping away and drunkenly lifting their heads. I remember the baby ducks from our last hatch being much stronger at this point, but nobody stepped on them! Ok, time for another brief bit of sleep.

6. jenniealice

Oct 18, 2011
    They're sleeping and their feathers are just turning a bit (I think the humidity being so high is keeping them from puffing up). The umbilical cord is still attached to the first one, but looks much less like a part of it than just a scrap attached. I think they're exhausted, but just in case, I'm going to get some vitamins/electrolytes from the feed store (they deserve a little boost).

7. jenniealice

Oct 18, 2011
    It's 4:00 and they're still peeping like crazy and scooting, but can't stand. Lifting their heads, but it looks tough for them. I put powdered electrolyte mixture water onto a paintbrush and gave each a few drops. They're resting in the incubator on a moist paper towel (a little comfier than the wire mesh). Any advice on how often to give them water?–they can't drink on their own so I'll have to keep it up with the paintbrush. I don't want them to get weaker or dehydrated after coming so far.

8. JEH1984

JEH1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Asheville NC
    Good luck with your babies! You seem to be taking really good care of them! Best of luck!!!

9. jenniealice

Oct 18, 2011
    Thank you. They're still about the same. Can't walk, but peep and scoot about. I guess there's not much to do but wait and keep them warm. Keep our fingers crossed!

10. sunEside

sunEside Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    With my chicks, I read and tried mashed hard boiled eggs and yogurt as a soft and healthy food for a sick chick. They liked it. It sounds as if your ducks were hatched early. Best luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by