1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Bad morning.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckins, Jan 31, 2013.

1. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    After fighting 60 mph winds and rain last nite duck run still secure. This morn go check on babies one soaked in chick waterer even though I have rocks in it to be shallow not moving but alive (posted about her in emergencies) waiting response tried to find info in storeys guide. While drying her my son came running house he checked ducks outside there were 2 hawks swooping down on the run thank goodness for chick wire and tarps fired a round in the air they became more determined and kept stalking my run. Well one want be coming back but scared to let ducks out today for fear of the other should I keep them pinned today. Why did they all the sudden show interest in them I mean we have hawks always watched for them but never this behavior and their not scared of me wow what a scary morning ps they were red tails.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I replied in the emergency section but you get more duck related replies here, even for emergencies. The other section is much more chicken focused.

3. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Do I need to retype or can I move my thread to this section she seem to b trying to stand now

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You can't move it. Copy and paste or retype. Edit the title of this thread or start a new one.

5. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    I started new thread in ducks thanks

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]
    Oh, duckins. . . . .

Right now predators may be getting desperate. It's late winter, weather's been crazy . . . . more hawk pressure here, too, not like yours. I replied on the other thread about the duckling. Try electrolytes.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I"m sorry, what a rough time. I would suggest NOT letting the ducks in an area the hawks could get them. It's really the dead of winter, so predators are definitely becoming more intense on finding food.

Unfortunately, one doesn't always know what they have for predators till they have things that would draw them in. I cannot help with the wee one as i have no experience with this but i hope it's okay.

8. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Thanks she's doing fine. Seen no more hawks today but I no they'll be back my neck hurts from watching sky and trees today.

9. Em

Em Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    Vancouver Island
    My Indian Runner was attacked last weekend, I made it in time and the red tail flew away, I hadnt seen him around this week and then let the girls out Friday and he was back - everyone got in safe but hes sure not scared of me, a blast of a bear banger finally made him fly off and stop eyeing my girls. This is the first issue I have had with a hawk, I was more worried about eagles but they seem to be more interested in other things (touch wood). I wonder if it is because ducks are regular prey, he targted the duck vs. the chickens and the duck sure draws attention to herself quacking loudly all the time...

10. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Glad you made it in time no signs of hawks here since that morning but yesterday they were stalking again its hard to pin point their coming and going. We literally take shifts standing with flock of 11 with binoculars. Read up on them they will actually scout food for3 days they can see for 1 or 2 miles away and watch for a schedule so its recommended you shift your schedule to confuse them. I fired a round of turkey shot in a 1100 all it did was cause another to come in he set in tree 30 ft from me and their run just watching us. Usually the crows will swarm in when there's a hawk but they failed that day. Our eagles stay on river which is 10 miles from our house they kill a lot of geese on river. It's been said on here and makes since its the dead of winter and their desperate for food if you have bird feeders don't be surprised to find them snacking at feeders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by