Bad mother

Peplers chicks

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 8, 2013
South Africa, Vereeniging
One of the mothers of four went to bed and leave her chicks cornered in another yard, I couldn't believe she did it, do you think if she does it again it would be a good thing to take away her babies before she loose them all cause of negligent

What happen is, the mother fly over a wall into another yard, and the chicks can follow her there somehow, but when she flows back the chicks cannot follow, then she leave her babies on the other side and continue towards sleeping place, their cries towards her fall on death ears. Normally the hen's will run up and down the fence area until their babies is safe with them, not this one, she leave them and go.

On the question about the coop, I don't have a coop, only a safe enclosure with fencing against night predators.

I probably wouldn't allow her to be a broody in the future. Broody's I've read about and from my grandmas old flock, they would sit outside with their babies and protect them...all night if they had to. As far as what to do now....has she had her wings clipped? It's always easier to keep them with mama then setting up a brooder and heat lamp but if theres no way to keep her with them; it would probably be worth it, so that you don't lose any to cold or predators or something. hope this helps a little :) I haven't had a broody hatch yet so I cant really relate (I have one that's trying now, but its almost the end of November...lol. don't need little chickie popsicles)

Back
Top Bottom