bad neighbor

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ozarkjeep, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozarkjeep

ozarkjeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    her dog barks and wakes me up almost every morning.

It started at 6:30am this morning ( it isSaturday), at 7:15 i called her phone and asked her if she knew it was barking.

She started complaining about my rooster, the one that "crows all day" but not generally before 9am, or after 6pm, unless her dog wakes him up.

so now, my son has to loose his pet rooster, so that I can call the city animal control and complain about a nuisance barking dog.

i really dislike having neighbors.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I hate for this to sound rude but you don't seem to be the nicest neighbor either. Tit for tat is never a good thing.

Whatever happened to working together and making things better for everyone?

3. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Not everyone's hours are the same- my daughter is an RN and works night shift. She expects no noise from 8:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
    I am an EARLY morning person. I don't give a darn if anything is making noise anytime after 3:30 a.m.
    Besides, animals can't tell time.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have good neighbors but I'm zoned agriculture. If anyone ever complained about my roosters, I just get guineas and peacocks until they begged for mercy.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

How you handle things may depend on the laws/regs in your neighhborhood, really. I'm agricultural, surrounded by crowing roosters besides my own, so a complaint from someone would be ridiculous. And for some reason, people seem to think a rooster crowing is some especially awful sound while they ignore barking dogs, roaring engines, blaring music, etc.

6. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I don't think I could complain to someone about their dog barking if I had a rooster. Some ppl can't stand the sound of a roo crowing and some roo's do crow a LOT, no matter the time.

I have a Faverolle that crows too much in my opinion, but he is my son's baby. Sometimes I cringe to hear him because I know my neighbor does not appreciate his "music". But I listened to their beagles "bay" for years before I got chickens.....

I consider it a give and take thing. Good luck on working things out with the neighbor.

Julie

7. ozarkjeep

Apr 9, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    There is noise ordinance in town, supposed to be quiet until 8am.

and my rooster is IN compliance with this, her dog is NOT.

rooster sleeps late, like until 8:30 or 9am, unless her dog wakes him.

Ive spoken with her about it a couple of times, she doesnt care if it wakes me or my family, thats pretty much what she said.

she has NEVER complained about the rooster until today, had i known it bothered her, i would have gotten rid of it eariler. I have given her eggs, and she has asked about the chickens, and laughed at them from her yard, how was I supposed to know that she was annoyed?

Tit for tat it shall be, ill send the roo to live with a friend on the farm, and then call animal control every timei hear her dog, and she can pay the fines,or stop the barking.

it becomes her choice at that point.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  8. ozarkjeep

Apr 9, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    and other than me calling and inquiring about the dog, just how would I initiate this working together thing?
    [​IMG]

Quote:

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i sold,, and gave away,,, probably around 100 or more chicks to ALL my neighbors [​IMG]

i couldnt get them to complain bout my birds if i tried,,,hehe,,, and believe me ( peafowl, guineas,, long crowers in the bator) i've tried... [​IMG]

10. ozarkjeep

Apr 9, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    This is my beef with the ordeal.

dogs bark all over the neighborhood, hers just happens to be right outside my window!

most of the neighbors, have told me they enjoy the roo, and it reminds them of growing up, or granpas farm, or something like that.

NOONE has complained to me, until today, and she was simply aggrevated that I called her about the dog.

I think i will keep the roo, and call animal control.

it would really fry her, to get a noise ticket and STILL have to hear the crowing ( during the day)

if i do get rid of him, i will record his crow,and broadcast it loudly everytime i hear her dog...

hahaha

Quote:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by