Bad news and good news

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SandraMort, Oct 23, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    The bad news is that the mystery pred killed another bird. The MO was same as last time, lots of blood and gore and missing parts.

The good news is that this time, we saw who did it. Yup, it was a fat old hawk. So I guess the birds stay indoors until I get netting put up over the top. And need to reconsider free ranging [​IMG]

2. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    sorry you lost another bird, hope the hawk finds different hunting grounds.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ahh! sandra that sucks!..sorry to hear about it!...we have them here also...i'm [​IMG] that they dont come after mine...he will probably keep coming back though, since he already came back 2 times now....good luck![​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh no sandra!! Im so sorry. One good thing is now you know what you are dealing with....and can get that netting up!

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    With hawks if they don't find anything tasty in the same place over and over again (keeping your birds up and covered for awhile) they'll eventually move on to a new hunting ground. I'm not sure how long though. They circle a several mile radius in a day.

6. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    [​IMG]
    sorry for your loss, glad you can fix it now...

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I'm sorry you lost another bird, and gratified to know her death wasn't in vain; you know now what you're fighting and can take appropriate action. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by