bad news day..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by fortheloveofegg, Aug 23, 2013.

1. fortheloveofegg

fortheloveofegg New Egg

May 13, 2013
    Started the morning out like normal, feed dog, go outside feed cat, make a cup of coffee and go let the chickens out.. As I approached I noticed one of my two silkie hens standing at the gate door which was odd. They've been in a perpetual brooding state and nothing can shake it.. Immediately when the other hen was not out the coop I got a bad feeling in my stomach.. Because they are inseparable.

sigh.. So I opened the gate and laid some pellets and she ran right up to me and stayed by me which is so weird, because they keep a 5 foot saftey net around us at all times.. I knew something was wrong and noticing feathers I kinda shook off as they pulling their chest feathers to sit on no eggs again...

I opened the coop to get treesy out and man... As careful as I was. In constructing the cage so nothing could get into it.. Something finally did.. I was kind of in shock and pretty sad me and my wife's hen was killed... I did the whole ahh, WTH, god, gahh, no way.... No wayy . Thing . Took a shovel from the truck and dug a hole under the magnolia tree and laid her to rest..

idk she meant a lot to us and was our first hen.. Now her sister seems to still be in shock, she just stands in one place and morns I guess..

we did a careful investigation of the cage and found a few seeker points than the strongest point. But nothing stood out as yep that's how it got in..

her abdomin was eatin. Beak was gone and eyes.. WTH man. So we went eat at buffalo wild wings and had some beers and talked about how cool she was roaming the yard kicking leaves and eating worms. Stealing tomatoes from the garden..

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. CindyMichelle3

CindyMichelle3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I'm sorry! We lost a silkie today too. Of our 4,it was the only one I was sure was a hen.

One minute she was in the yard an hour later she was gone. My husband spent hours looking for her.

It's our first loss, hopefully the last

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by