1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bad news from the vet

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bock, Dec 14, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    *Sigh* Today my mom took in my 4 year old chihauhau/terrier mix to the vet because of a sore on her tummy and she looked to be in need of a teeth cleaning. The vet prescribed antibiotics for the sore and gave her a head cone. She also said that her teeth weren't too bad, but she would need to take x-rays to determine if she needed a cleaning. Then she said that the x-rays and teeth cleaning would cost around $450! [​IMG] The worst part about it she was pre-diagnosed with hip dysplasia. She said she could here her hips popping, which means she would eventually come down with it. Honestly, this is my parents fault. They bought her from a pet store when I was in 5th grade. I thought she was just any other adorable puppy, but in truth she came from a backyard breeder or a puppy mill. I have no doubt that genetics are the reason behind this. She also said that she had a heart murmer, which could be a sighn of heart worms. [​IMG] The vet was also pressuring my mom to put her on heart worm prevention and to give her a Parvo shot. I find the Parvo shot unnecessary since we live in the country and she never meets other dogs face-to-face. I am still unsure about heart worm pills though. I have heard that it can really break down your dog's immune system. Do you give it to your dog? This is all a lot to process right now,especially since she is only four years old and seems perfectly healthy.

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    We give heartworm prevention to our dogs. I would get her on the heartworm prevention pills if I were you. Heartworm treatment would cost A TON if she got them. parvo? Dogs over three years old cant get parvo. it's mainly just puppies. And you can clean her teeth yourself. So idk about this vet your taking her to. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    thanks for the reply. I have been brushing her teeth and giving her raw meaty bones. She said she has mild gingivitis. The vet also freaked out a little when my mom told her about the raw meaty bones. She said it would break her teeth and might make her choke. This made me laugh. I think we might start bringing our pets to the holistic vet about 40 minutes from out house. It is farther, but I think it is worth it. They give dogs nosodes to prevent heartworm. It sounds much better. No side effects, and they encourage raw diets.

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Nothing here represents good vet care IMO; I wouldn't be back, for sure.

6. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    All my dogs get heartworm preventative every month. They are all very healthy and have never been sick. My dogs also have excellent teeth but gets lots of hard things to chew on. I think that this is a big help in maintaining proper oral health. I think your vet may be a bit nutty IMO

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Just because a dog has popping hips doesn't necessarily mean that it will come down with HD.

Put her on some Glucosamine. It can't hurt. 1000mg per 50 lbs. I started Sadie on them about a month or two ago. She gets 1000-2000mg per day. I get the capsules and open them up and dump the powder on her food.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I wouldn't go back to that vet!

Vets here do give an "annual" shot that has parvo, distemper and something else in it. I don't buy it though. I am also in the camp that by the time the dog is several years old they have enough immunity built up. Even dogs who don't get vaccinated show immunity on their titers by the time they are a year or so old.

Our vet is really good. For the dog's second Rabies shot they will give the 3-year vax. Les vaxes is always good IMO. My dogs are raw fed. Nothin wrong with raw meaty bones! Just make sure your girl is getting a well rounded diet, with organ meats and a variety of types of meat.
    My grandpa gave his dogs heartworm preventative every day. I guess it was before the monthly pills were available? I dunno. Anyways. They lived on cheap kibble and table scraps, and lived to the ripe old age of 12-14years old. I doubt the heartworm pills hurt them.

ETA: I agree about the Glucosamine too. I got some in powdered form for my dog Hawk. He's only 4 but was acting arthritic in his left front foot. It seems to be doing better already after a couple of weeks on the Glucosamine stuff.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A small dog like that if kept lean in good physical condition should have little trouble even if she is dysplastic. Dogs of any age can get parvo virus if they have not developed a titer to it. In other words been vaccinated or survived a mild case. Heart worm preventive may be a good idea. I use Ivermectin as a heartworm preventive 8 months out of the year. I do not treat during the winter. Your vet visit sounds a little pricey to me. I too recommend finding another vet.

10. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    An x ray for teeth cleaning. Mmm I see a city vet in need of a new car. I would clean her teeth at home and I would probably look for a new vet. It sounds like someone is padding the bill a bit. Also on the hip issues there is a lot you can do. I had a lab who was diagnosed as a pup. He lived to be almost 16 years old. It wasn't his hip that went first either. He had organ failure but his hips were still fine. I also did massage on them to increase circulation( just because I am nuts) and we did joint supplements his whole life but still he was a huge dog. So early signs do not mean it has to become an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by