Bad news, I had to put little bob down. :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LoneCowboy, Mar 2, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I didn't think it would bother me so much, Bob (I called her that because all she could do was bob around) gave a good fight, but just couldn't do it. I really though she'd pull through, but she just got weaker and weaker and just wasn't going to make it, so I had to put her down. Her splay leg just wasn't getting stronger, she got around less and less each day. The other chicks were pecking at her so finally her suffering is over. I hope I never have to deal with that again. [​IMG]

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    im so sorry, you gave her a great life.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry, Deniece. It never gets easier, either, but you did the best thing, sounds like to me. [​IMG]

4. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Yeah, but that's just not a good thing to have to do. I'm worried now that I'm going to fall apart when it's time to rotate the flock. I think I'll sell them at 18 months, so I don't have have them processed. I'm just not good at killing things.

5. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Sorry to hear that but don't feel bad I bawl over all of them, I lost one I had hatched from Poison Ivy a little Delaware, she had a curled foot, I kept her taped up for a few days but her foot wasn't straightening up, and she just kept going downhill. I sat here rocking her until she was gone and cryed the whole time. Amazing how attached we get to the little fuzz butts.

6. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I think it's the ones you work so hard with and spend so much time on. I didn't used to like my EEer's very much, then 2 of them prolapesed, and I spent a lot of time nursing them back to health. Now they are my favorites.

7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am so sorry

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I know how you're feeling LC...I've had to do it too and I've got a little Buff orp that I'm giving until tomorrow to improve.

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sorry to hear about your loss. It's always hard decision to make.
    [​IMG]

10. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by