Bad News. Just had a Biddy born with 2 beaks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EggWalrus, Nov 6, 2017.

1. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2017
    It has 2 lower jaws. the top and middle close and work like it should but it has a 3rd beak or 2nd lower jaw that hangs down below is regular one. sorta looks like a Horn coming out from its throat under its beak. He's not quite a week old, and I'm surprised I didn't catch it earlier but we just had about 60 Biddys to hatch. The old lady says to just cull it now so it doesn't suffer (and so she ain't gotta see it), but it had a full gizzard sticking out and runs around like Speedy Gonzales. Does anyone think I should use some nail clippers and cut it off, or would it just keep growing back. I don't want to see it suffer for years, but if God made him that way, who am I to put him down if he can possibly make it. Maybe I can hide it from my wife till its old enough that she would think he can make it. Any suggestions are dearly welcome! I'll try to post some pics of it later. :hit

2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Yes please take pics....
    Good luck with him...

3. Chickassan

Chickassan True BYC Addict

May 23, 2017
    Berea, South Carolina
    If it's eating fine and doing all the stuff chicks do just leave it be. No need to stress it out over something that isn't adversely effecting it.:)

4. Stayc

Stayc Overrun With Chickens

May 18, 2017
    Keysville Virginia
    ^^^ i agree with Chickassan

nminusyplusm and casportpony like this.
  5. EggWalrus

Aug 14, 2017
    2 beak 1.jpg 2 beak 2.jpg 2 beak 2.jpg 2 beak 1.jpg 2 beak 2.jpg

Farmer Connie and drumstick diva like this.
  6. Chickassan

Chickassan True BYC Addict

May 23, 2017
    Berea, South Carolina
    Oh goodness let the little thing grow and prosper. That's not horrible at all just different. ;)

7. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hey, open its mouth and see if thats its tongue coming through a hole . seen one like that the other day. They pulled it back in and I dont know how they closed the hole but its a thread on here somewhere.

8. EggWalrus

Aug 14, 2017
    I'll have to catch the Lil Speed Demon later to get a better pic. getting dark here and I still have to chop some fire wood. I'll try to catch it again tomorrow and get a good close up of the little second break.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Agree, that looks like a tongue, not an extra beak. May have a hole in the lower beak (similar to cleft palate in humans).

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Following. Would love to see some close up pictures.

nminusyplusm and drumstick diva like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by