BAD news, need advice ;( LIFE AT STAKE!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hopefully, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Hopefully

Hopefully Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    We let mama hen and her 2 chicks outside today. We leashed up our dog for today and the plan was to make a coop this weekend. Well, dog got loose and ran to chicks. mama hen tried her best to ward dog off, but to no use. Our dog trampled the chicks, threw them around, licked them, mouthed them..
    I ran outside and grabbed the limp chicks, both barely breathing. We put them with mama inside but she just paced and clucked, not knowing what to do. She wouldn't warm them up.. sad news, one passed away. One is still alive.
    I got the live one, limp, wet and unresponsive, eyes shut. I warmed her up with the bra method (put her in cup of my bra) and she began to peep after about half an hour. She finally opened her eyes just about 10 minutes ago. We put her back with mama. She isn't walking but she can stand.. and she's not eating or drinking yet. Mama hen tried to make her eat, but she wasn't interested. Right now, Mama hen is sitting on her and luckily this little chick is fluffy again and thriving... what do you think her chances of survival are now? Should I leave it up to mama now.. will she make sure she eats and drinks?

I feel so bad that one is dead.. can't believe I let this happen.

2. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Wow, that's a tough one. I would let Momma take care of the chick, but also, if Mom lets you and doesn't get upset, check on the chick often. Can you simply sit and watch them to see if the chick is eating/drinking? I'm sure the baby is in shock, and there could be internal damage that isn't visible... Time will tell. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Trust me, we all make mistakes that we realize could have been prevented - it really stinks, but hopefully we learn from those mistakes [​IMG]

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I hope your little chick makes it. I would leave it up to momma hen. If the chick passes then things happen. It sounds like the chick is doing great though.

4. Hopefully

Aug 23, 2009
    [​IMG] I'm so sad for the one that died.. I still can't believe it [​IMG] I hate my dog! She never did this before! When we got 6 chicks to begin with (last March) she was gentle. And now this!!!!!!

Mama hen doesn't mind me checking up on her and her remaining little one. She mainly sits on her, trying to warm her up. The chick is peeping constantly, is that a good sign? Mama hen did drink water but the chick just stood peeping until she went and sat back on top of her. Chick has no interest in walking around, eating, or drinking.. she just wants her mama right now. We're going to bury the dead one today..

The chicks were originally named Sugar and Spice. Spice died. When I had Sugar in my bra, when she began to peep, I knew it was a turning point for the best, so I changed her name to Sing.

Please keep your fingers crossed for Momma and Chickie. What kind of internal damages might have happened?

Also, before I gave her to Mama when her eyes opened, I noticed she has one limp leg that she barely moves and then one sturdy good leg. Do you think she'll have 1 bad leg now? How will this affect her? Is it possible that after warming up that she'll be able to move her leg?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Do you remember that I told you that chicks incessant peeping is a sign of distress? And I hope you're not serious that you hate your dog. It only did what comes naturally to it. It is up to us to provide protection and safety for our animals, within reason. If you actually restrained your dog, than you did all that you could do. I do think I remember you saying that your dog would never hurt them, REALLY! but you say that she was tied up, so you did the best that you could do.
    You do seem easily upset by a very natural thing such as a hen having chicks. You might want to try and be a little better prepared for the next time so that it won't be so hard on you. You've had a long, stressful day.

6. Hopefully

Aug 23, 2009
    Before this happened, my dog never hurt a fly. [​IMG]
    Now she's evil lol no I don't hate her but I am mad at her.

Sing is now eating, pooping, and drinking water. She's sleeping again now, seems totally fine. I'm glad she's feeling better.

It was very stressful! I'm feeling better now.

I don't think it's a sign of distress, the peeping. It's not loud, it's just like she's talking.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] your baby makes it. I'm so sorry you lost the other one.

8. Hopefully

Aug 23, 2009
    Thanks new2chooks... the baby seems to be doing a lot better now. I just saw her eat, walk around, poo, and drink. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wish the other one coulda made it too..[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] But she's in a better place now..

Do you think she died of shock, because there's no injuries on her body. My dog was playing with them like they were tennis balls. She was mouthing them as well, which is how they got wet. Can she die of shock? And why did she die and Sing was able to fight through to live?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  9. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The dog could have mouthed the other one just hard enough to do some internal damage.

Yes animals can and will die of shock just like people do.

It's sad that you lost the other chick but as lilcrow said you had the dog restrained, things like this do happen from time to time.

10. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    The incessant peeping could very well have been distress - she was upset and scared - I'd probably peep for a while if that happened to me [​IMG] Glad to hear she's eating and doing all the stuff she should be!! That's a great sign [​IMG] I think Mom will take care of the baby, and at this point, there's probably nothing you can do to help, especially if she's feeling better... Your other little baby probably got mouthed a little too hard by your dog.

My smallest, fat little dog got out when our chickens were out. She is a hunting breed, so it does come natural to her. We have an old wooden door that pops open on it's own depending on the humidity, and unfortunately DH forgot to lock the door to the basement that day. She got my 2 white crested polish girls, and almost had my Sammy chicken (salmon Faverolle hen). I showed up just as Garmin grabbed her. Luckily Sammy is still with us, and doing just fine (after some home stitched cuts, and a bruised leg). I felt like such a jerk, but at the same time I can't blame Garmin. She did what was natural for her. At our old house, I could let all of our dogs out with the chickens, and they wouldn't bother them. I would never dream of doing that now. They have just changed, and chicken is on the menu now [​IMG] Just do what you can to keep you're chickies safe. If something happens, you have to remember the fact that you did everything you could.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by