1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bad news

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ILikeSound, Sep 30, 2015.

1. ILikeSound

ILikeSound Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2015
    We had a fox dig into our duck's run last week. He only got one of our ducks, our Indian runner, my son's favorite. I hate to do it but I had to start locking them up at night in their house.
    I got some 3 ft welded wire fence that I will use to skirt the perimeter of their run on my next day off. Without burying the fence, is there much else I can do to deter digging predators?

Thanks,
    Will

[​IMG]

R.I.P Super Ninja Duck

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    So sorry for your loss. :(

I would suggest electric fencing around your duck pen since that is what I use and have had great success with it. Nothing has ever gotten into my duck pens.

Also wanted to add, ducks should ALWAYS be locked in at night so don't feel bad for doing so. I would never leave mine out at night, even with the electric fence on. That's just asking for trouble. Good luck and make sure it gets fixed ASAP because that fox will surely be back for your other ducks.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. ILikeSound

ILikeSound Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2015
    Their run is a 12ft by 12ft chain link fence with a poultry wire roof and I am about to skirt the perimeter with 3 ft of welded wire fencing. Your saying that is not safe enough and I should still lock them in their coop at night? I hate to do that mostly because I have a weird work schedule and I am not always home early in the morning to let them out and same with locking them up in the evening.

4. bigt447

bigt447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    I have my chainlink pen sitting right in the middle of 3 ft welded wire (foot & 1/2 on outside & same inside) fastened down with sturdy tent pegs. Nothing has been able to dig in.

5. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I'm so sorry for your loss :(

We're using hardware cloth secured on the sides. Each panel of hardware cloth is long enough to create a skirt on the ground. It's pinned to the ground with staples.

I walk around it every morning to check it and supervise the ducks while they nibble on bugs and greens.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by