BAD PIP URGEBT HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wolfandfinch, Dec 4, 2013.

1. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    We are only on day 18 and I have a pip and in the middle of the egg, not in the air cell. It's external so am I correct in assuming it's going to be as ok as u can guess given it has access to oxygen? Should I be breaking lockdown at this point even if one egg beds help and endanger the other 7 I think might be viable? Eek this is my second hatch and I've never had an egg pip before!![​IMG]

2. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Here's another picture [​IMG]

3. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Sorry that should say day 19. Goofy phone. Sorry, I'm very excited!!

4. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Just to make sense of why I'm panicking a little, this incubator is in the preschool. I last checked yesterday about 4pm so I have no idea when it pipped :O

5. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Ok it's trying to get out but it's not zipping, it's making a bigger hole. Is this going to be ok? How will I know if it's struggling?

6. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    [​IMG]

The membrane is very white but it's made a hole in it. Do I need to worry about shrink wrapping?

7. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    I could really use some advice if anyone has time, I'm concerned about shrink wrapping :(

8. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    I've been reading all the advice threads and am trying to calm myself down. I'll stop hovering over the incubator for a while.

9. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    [​IMG]

10. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Hi there, deep breaths! Your chick is fine :) The membrane looks good, it is white which is perfect. don't open that incubator! or the membrane could dry out. a dry membrane would look yellow or brownish. white is what we want.

The initial pip does look quite low in the egg. Remember that the air cell continued to grow past the last time you penciled it, so it is common that they zip right below the pencil line.
    Your most recent pic shows this. Looking good!

Remember that you should not intervene unless there has been no progress for 24-36 hours. (eg: pip but no zip for 36hrs, or partial zip then stopping for 36hrs)

They have a yolk inside the egg that will give them enough food to last them 3 days, and they are now breathing air. think of shipped chicks. they are put right in a box with no food or water for 2 or 3 whole days sometimes. your babies are FINE!! :)

Edit:
    I thought of something else. I write down what time I notice the pip, then they usually rest for 6-12 hours, then when they begin to zip I write down that time too. That way I know when the scary time is getting close.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by