bad plants for chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by delfargo, May 25, 2010.

1. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm currently in the process of building my coop (renovating a part of the barn). was wondering if there are certain plants that may be harmful for the chickens to be around. the area i am fencing in for the run currently has some day lilies and sedum planted next to the barn. is this a problem? are there any plants you should NOT have in the run? thanx alot.

2. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    I had bookmarked this page for future reference when I built a run, hope it answers your question:

Some plants are poisonous to chickens although fortunately they are quite savvy about what not to eat and it is very rare for a chicken to eat a poisonous plant.
    Here is a list of some plants that are poisonous to chickens.

Alfalfa
    Bloodroot
    Bull Nettle
    Bracken
    Bryony
    Carelessweed
    Castor Bean
    Cocklebur
    Curly Dock
    Daffodil
    Delphinium
    Elderberry
    Fern,
    Foxglove
    Ground Ivy
    Hemlock
    Horse Chestnut
    Horse Radish
    Hyacinth
    Hydrangea
    Ivy
    Laburnum
    Lamb's Quarters
    Lantana
    Lily of the Valley
    Nightshade (Also called Deadly Nightshade)
    Rhododendron
    Rhubarb
    St. Johns Wort
    Tulip
    Water Hemlock (Cicuta maculata L.)
    Yew

http://poultrykeeper.com/chickens/health/poisonous-plants-for-chickens.html

3. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
  4. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Another way to think about your plant dilemma: do you value those plants at all? If so, relocate them outside of the chicken run. Depending on the chicken density in your run, in all likelyhood the area will be reduced to a chicken wasteland in a matter of weeks. If you value the flora, move it. [​IMG]

5. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

thanx for the links regarding poisons and treats. very informative.

6. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    How is it that Alfalfa is poisonous to chickens when it is one of the ingredients in the feed I give my chickens?

7. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    Yeah, have to say I don't get the alfalfa being on that list either.

8. JFW

JFW Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Alfalfa??? My chicken have been eating alfalfa for years with no problems. My grandparents chickens had free run of a 20 arce alfalfa field beside the barn lot; never a problem. Has anyone ever noticed a problem feeding alfalfa? I give mine a flake of alfalfa hay during the winter months for something green and they love it.

9. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Yeah, I didn't get the inclusion of alfalfa on that list, either. So I did a little surfing and found:

"Alfalfa also contains saponins that can interfere with the growth of poultry and thus reduce egg-laying (Fuller and McClintock 1986, Oakenfull and Sidhu 1989). Low saponin cultivars have been developed."

Maybe the alfalfa we've all been using without incident is one of those "low-saponin cultivars."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by