Bad playful puppy!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mama24, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    We are babysitting my friend's sweet little shih tzu. He's a good little dog, but they live in a condo in the city. So not exactly chicken friendly. Apparently my kids let my baby bantams out of their coop/run. I had no idea, and I put the dog outside. He was out there for about an hour! My chickens and chicks are all completely terrified, but they all seem ok except for our sweet little bantam sultan, Annie. She's about 2.5 months old. She was huddled against the fence and he was standing over her when I got out there. She isn't bleeding at all, but one side of her head looks like it may be badly bruised. She was panting with her eyes closed and her beak was full of dirt. I brought her in the house and poured some water into her mouth from a medicine cup. I have her in a cage in my bedroom now with a bowl of water I added some vitamin powder to. Is there anything else I can/should do for her? I'm hoping she's just completely exhausted from trying to run away from the puppy and she isn't hurt. [​IMG] I feel so bad! This pup is NOT going outside unattended again! And of course, my banties are all safe in their coop again!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. earthmama24

earthmama24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Charleston
    Have you ever heard of Rescue Remedy? If you have kids (as your name suggests, much like mine) it would be a good thing to have on hand. It works wonders anytime there has been an injury or anything that causes trauma. It also works when someone is just being emotional. You wouldn't believe how quickly you can go from screaming bloody murder to calm and quiet. I've used it in goats as well. Never in chickens, but I would if someone got traumatized, just haven't had that happen yet.

Another good thing to have on hand would be castor oil. It will heal a bruise like nobody's business. I have used this on chickens, goats, dogs, cats and humans on numerous occasions. It gets used by somebody every day. Mine is mixed with lavender (calming), tea tree (antiseptic) and chamomile (calming) essential oils.

Feel free to check out my blog if natural remedies interest you.

Hope she recovers quickly.

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Thanks, but have you ever read up on how Rescue Remedy is made? It's only real ingredient is alcohol. Somehow, I am very skeptical that the water part infused with the "essence" of flowers by floating flowers on the water under a full moon really does anything. Essential oils and herbs, yes. Rescue Remedy and homeopathy, no. [​IMG] I'll try the castor oil. I don't have any chamomile oil since I'm allergic to chamomile, but I have others, including lavender. I have cats, though, and many eo's are lethal to cats, so I'm a little leery of using them on animals other than dogs. I know birds, like cats, are also very sensitive to things.

4. earthmama24

earthmama24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Charleston
    I have used many different kinds of essential oils on my animals. No essential oil (except lavender) should be applied full strength on anything living, animal or human (and I don't use any eo full strength on animals). The concoction I use is 2oz of castor oil with 10 drops of lavender, 10 drops tea tree and 5 drops of chamomile. I use the chamomile primarily for calming nerves or soothing irritated skin.

As for Rescue Remedy, say what you will, but I have seen infants receive relief from homeopathic remedies, so it is kind of hard for me to believe "it was in their head". That being said, homeopathy works on some people and not on others, just as some medications work for some people and not on others. When my son was a baby, he and I took the same homeopathic remedy. Worked like a charm on him and did nothing for me. I have personally learned not to knock something until I've tried it (unless of course it could be detrimental! [​IMG]) To each his own and whatever you choose to try, hope it gets the job done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by