Bad Poo, Bloody feathers near butt, laying down a lot, DYING..>HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TENCHICKENS, Jul 1, 2011.

1. TENCHICKENS

TENCHICKENS Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Hey all,

I noticed yesterday one of the chickens look like it had blood on its tail feathers. Look around the pen and check the vent of the chicken it didn't have any peck marks. Then I look and see another chicken has "messy" feathers on its rump.

today I look in the pen and find bloody stool like in the "POOP ID PAGE" and also found one solid black terd. I took that terd out and poked it with a stick and it was full of bloody poo! Even though the outside was hard.

It's friday night and nowhere is open for medicine. One of my chickens died today it had the poo on its rump feathers. Another one (my favorite chicken) has it now and is laying down. I don't know what to do. I fed them yogurt and oatmeal so hopefully that will help. I NEED HELP! Holiday weekend I doubt agway will be open.

I called Tractor Supply and they said "NO, ALL WE HAVE IS ELECTROLYTES. I SAID WELL YOU SELL CHICKENS YOU SHOULD SELL MEDICINE."

I'M SO WORRIED....

2. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    I would grab some Sulmet - you may need to find a different feed store if yours doesn't have it. The bloody poo might mean cocci. There is also Corid - easier on their gut but less of a spectrum killer.

Yogurt will help slow it down, and apple cider vinegar in the water may help too. If you are giving electrolytes do not do so for more than 24 hours or it can actually dehydrate them due to the sodium content.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by