BAD Prolapse, need opinions, PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MikasGirl, Apr 12, 2011.

1. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Yesterday, my grandpa and I let out the chickens to run around. (It's a long story, but I'm having some family problems, not living at home right now, go out and take care of the chickens every day with my grandpa, because of this reason, I don't observe them as much as I should) My grandpa started giving them some scratch and I noticed one of my hens, 3 yr old EE named Tristan, had a really filthy bottom. I thought I saw blood and went over to check it. Sure enough, there was blood. I ran her inside and examined it further. She had prolapsed. I have no idea if it was that day, or earlier in the week, but I'm assuming that it had been like that for too long. I immediately soaked her in warm water, and then began cleaning it off. What I saw was not good.. There is a grayish black spot (not sure if it's scab or necrotic tissue) and upon further inspection, a hole in the side of it. It is not a small hole. Likely, she and the other chickens pecked at it. I did put Prep H on it, and tried to push it back in, but she wouldn't keep it in. In fact, it's probably better out of her because her waste is passing through the hole in her oviduct, the non-natural one. At this point, I'm keeping her comfortable and in the dark. She doesn't appear to be in any pain, and acts completely normal. However, I do feel that this is un-fixable and that I may have to euthanize her. Is this the best thing for me to do for her? I'll try to get a picture, but I still think there isn't anything I can do. My chickens are my pets and I feel like this is my fault, and it is. I feel terrible, but I have to do what's best for her.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  2. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I had a hen w/ a huge prolapse last year- I soaked her in warm water for about 20 minutes once a day, tried the prep. H- she didn't like it- and then tried putting honey on it. I'd try to hold it in for a minute at a time, but eventually it went back in itself- a few weeks maybe. I kept her isolated and tried to keep it as dark as possible for her. She did recover and now is laying eggs again.....Good luck to you- I was devastated when it happened to my hen, and felt guilty too, but she turned out fine. Try the honey and warm soaks....We also fed her yogurt.

3. MikasGirl

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I've dealt with prolapse before but this time there's a hole pecked in the side of it.. I'm pretty sure that is bad.. I'll have to add a picture.

4. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Ohhhhh, that doesn't sound good- I'm sorry! Sounds like it could very easily become infected.

5. MikasGirl

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Well... It seems no better today. Here are pictures:

See the hole? This is the side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This red part, is the front.
    [​IMG]

6. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Oh, Poor Girl! It does look bad- don't know what to say .......

7. MikasGirl

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Any other opinions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by