Bad puppy! / Good puppy!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by skeeter03, Sep 10, 2009.

1. skeeter03

skeeter03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Vernon
    So I was out last night but aparantly my st bernard/rotti puppy broke into the chicken run BAD PUPPY!!
    but she never touched one chicken hubby said he was just snooping around and watching them. GOOD PUPPY???
    the kids told me the rooster attacked her so maybe she will learn to leave them alone

2. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe she wants to be their protector. I vote good puppy! Might be a good idea just to watch but some dogs just like to be friends with the chooks.

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    the kids told me the rooster attacked her so maybe she will learn to leave them alone

That is how I train my Rat Terrier pups to not harass the poultry. I will take one pup at a time back to the barn and let it get nosey about a sitting hen or protective rooster.
    The pup doesn't really get hurt, but it makes enough of an impression on them that they don't go back for seconds. And it seems to be a life long lesson.
    After the pups have been poultry initiated I can take them back as a group and let them play and explore the barn and they stay well away from the poultry.
    I say "Good Pup" if she learned a lesson. "Bad Pup" for breaking into the pen though. [​IMG]

4. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I would reserve judgement and keep a close eye on her around the chickens. [​IMG]

But Good Rooster!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by