Bad Rabbit food or Bad Feed Store?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Sep 12, 2011.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I have this feed store that is by me that is very cheap so I usually get my feed there. However the owner is (lets say not very nice) and EVERY time I try to order food, which is a brand they ALREADY carry it takes them 3-5 weeks to get it in. From a company whom they supposedly get a shipment in every week. Last time she said she kept ordering it but that her rep didn't put it in the order. Ok whatever. This time I have been waiting already like 4 weeks again, checking back in every week, and they STILL haven't got it in. Today I go in and she asks "why I want this particular food" and I said because it's a lot higher quality than the stuff she normally carries (and it's the same price). And then she proceeds to tell me that she just had a lady return 8 bags because it was "blowing up her rabbits hearts" she said the manufacturer got involved and it doing a study and everything. I don't know if I believe her or not. Maybe putting in my order there is too big of a problem for her and she just doesn't want to deal with me so she is trying to scare me away. I have no idea. Oh and every time I go in there she tries to sell me the same bag of expired food which is the last one she has left that I know has been sitting there for over a year. [​IMG] I came home and did a search on google to see if I could see if there have been any recalls or problems with this food lately, and I haven't found any since 2008. Let me add that I personally have never had any problems with this food, nor have any of my rabbit breeding friends.

So now I am worried that I have food on order. Should I be worried, or should I start shopping elsewhere?

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    do a quick internet search on the food you ordered. If there is any type of study going on, you will find a history of complaints and such. Since you did that and came up empty, then it sounds like she is either A) assuming that their is still a problem or B) just doesn't want to be bothered. I'd vote for option B.

I'd check with other stores in the area and have them order it for me. Or check online to have it shipped or find another local supplier

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I would give my business to a different store.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sounds like someone doesn't want to pay for new stock until she sells off all the old, worthless stuff. I would go to a new store.

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Such a bummer. They are close to me and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than all the other feed stores. Now I will have to drive 45 minutes to the next nearest one. That's why I put up with her for so long.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I only purchase Purina Show rabbit pellets. It is not expensive either $15 for a bag that lasts two months and we have 8 rabbits.

7. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Call the mfg yourself. See if there is any truth to her story. Then, tell them your difficulties. If their rep isnt doing her job, they need to know. They may be going through another distributor, but they still need to know that however their food is supposed to be getting there isnt happening. If it isnt true, then they may even call the lady at the store and have a chat with her or they may extend an offer to you to place a standing order that gets sent to that store or another they deal with.

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:
    That is the particular food in question. I have used it for a long time and love it. I have such trouble getting it here. [​IMG]

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:
    Good idea, except I think it would be even MORE awkward going in there after I called the company because I'm sure she would know it was me who called. I think I am the only person that gets it. Well besides the lady who's rabbit hearts blew up. [​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Maybe try ordering more than one bag at a time? Are your other rabbit friends in the same area? I know one of the feed stores I use can't order just one bag of anything, it usually has to be a full pallet or a full pallet of 'oddballs' (2 bags of this, 3 bags of that, but the pallet is full of the extras). A friend of mine ordered a bag of pigeon feed for his Serama and it took them quite a while to get the bag in (> 2 weeks).

That's probably the only way you could get around it, either order several bags at once or get other people to order at the same time so the order is bigger. Hope you get it straightened out.

I wonder, if this feed is so much better yet costs the same as the inferior feed the store carries, why don't they just carry the good feed? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by