Bad Request

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by HEChicken, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Several times recently I have gone to look in my profile at my own posts, to see if there are any responses on a thread I had previously read and responded on, only to find that my response is not listed. The first time I thought "Huh, that's strange", the second time I was a little more puzzled. Today I looked for a particular post that I know exactly when I posted and it is just not there. I remembered a key word in the thread and searched on it. The thread came up in the search results but when I clicked on it, I got the "bad request" message.

I read Nifty's explanation for why chat was taken down, which was that when someone posts in the forum it is there "forever" yet it seems that these are threads that have been deleted. I thought threads were just closed to new posts, not deleted, but now I'm starting to wonder. What's going on?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:Depends- I've seen threads deletaed at OP's request on other boards. I know moderating is very hard- you have to

*balance the good of the many over the voice of the few.*

Some threads are repeats or doing downhill from the first post can be moved (on other forums, not sure about here) to a moderation area to get cleaned up. Once the offensive material is removed the thread shows back up all nice and clean.

Because Mods and Admins have lives this might take more then one day, or week.

It may not be your post- someone else might have spammed the thread or 'flushed' the thread by breaking a rule or three.

So -chin up- and if there's a topic you NEED discussed (as long as its not about the chat [​IMG]) post it- if it is getting removed because -you- did something you'll get a PM telling you what's going on.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Thanks Tigeris. I wasn't really concerned about anything *I* had said, fortunately. I was just curious to follow up on the thread and then couldn't find it. The weird thing is, when it happened the first time, I thought, "oh, no problem, I'll just go to the OP's profile and look at his/her posts to find the thread" and the OP wasn't in the User List! After just posting a few hours before. I've seen other users listed in the user list as "banned" but why would a user just disappear altogether? Yes, it occurred to me they could have changed user name but it seemed unlikely that both the thread disappeared and the user changed names at the exact same time.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Posts and threads are moved off the forum or deleted for various reasons.

No user is ever deleted (except on occasion a spammer). If you didn't find the user, it is likely because you left out a space, _ or something in their name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by