Bad Roo :( What to expect from his girls after......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by X2Farm, Sep 24, 2010.

1. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Well, the time has come, our formerly sweet 2yoish RIR Roo, Big Daddy, has taken a turn for the worse. He chased and attatcked my 4yo daughter today [​IMG] Ended up booting him across the yard, chasing him around the house with him running for his life, and finally caught him and he spent a little time being involuntarily submissive. Talked it over with the kids, and they both agree, off with his head. Not being ready for processing just yet, I set him back in the yard with the girls, and he will be dealt with as soon as I get everything ready for processing.

A few weeks ago, he made a "pass" at DD, and she gave him a wollop, this morning, he did it again, with me right next to her, and he got shoved away as I proceded to move with a purpose, in his direction, and I angrily stomped after him for about 5 minutes, around the yard.

Now this [​IMG] He just went bad, it seems [​IMG] within a few weeks.... Maybe he's younger then I was told? We've had him and the 5 girls since July. I dunno what his deal is, but, my children come first, and I've got a bunch of chicks, about 15 packing peanut roo's plus some from both hatchery orders I can pick from, when the time comes, to be the flock protector

There are 5 hens that I bought, along with Big Daddy, in Mid July. I'm thinkin they've all been together at least a couple years, I was told they were all about 2yo. So, they're more then likely pretty attatched to him. I AM worried about how they'll react when he's no longer there to keep them "in line" and be the leader. There's one, my best lookin girl, Grumpy, that is constantly by his side, and the most attatched. What can I expect? Is there any way I could help ease the grief?

I thought about rehoming him, but, a Roo that goes after kids, does NOT get a pass in my book. Its too bad, he is a beauty.

2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Those RIR's are agressive.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

my redsexlink was always by my RIR roo's side, when I had to move the roos away due to neighbor complaints she really lost a lot of her "personality"
    She doesn't seem depressed too badly, she eats and runs around witht the flock and all that jazz, if you didn't know better you'd just think she was always that way, but she's no longer the star of the show, ya know? it definitely changed her.
    Mr Red is still around and they will eventually be reunited, I'm kinda wondering how THAT will go [​IMG]

4. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    we just sent 7 roo's to the pot. basically the hens stood around and "high-fived" each other after wards. we have 3 left and the gals are just fine.

your ladies be just fine. they might rearrange the pecking order but the probably wont stand around crying. it will probably be harder on you!

and life is too short for a mean roo. and yes, your children come first.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your hens will be fine, and you made the right choice. Just imagine the damage a rooster's toenails and spurs could do to a child's eyes or face. Good call!

6. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Thanks Yall [​IMG] I hope they are!!! I hope the pecking order is better then it is right now... I got one who only sprints if she's in the yard, so I'd like to see her give the rest of em heck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by