Bad rooster? Maybe not...

FeatherstoneFrm

Songster
Aug 1, 2014
Appling, GA
Screenshot_20180715-153642.png So, i posted before about Hank, my 17 week old Australorp cockerel who flew at my legs one day and bit me as I entered the run. We had a special moment together and that hasn't happened again. He pecked my 11 year old daughter the other day but I think he was pecking at a mosquito on her leg. Anyway, I remembered that the night before the incident with me, we had a raccoon in the yard. So he probably was a little freaked out about a predator, maybe even his first predator encounter.
A week or two later, I brought home 4 five week old chicks and put them in a wire crate in the run. When the hens went over to peck at them and grab at their feathers, Hank went over, pecked at the hens, and move between them and the chicks. I have since opened the crate and let the chicks come and go in the run. When they are out of the crate, Hank keeps himself between the hens and chicks and keeps the babies safe.
I am so happy that I decided to give him another chance. I still watch him carefully, we do not try to pet or hold him. I do talk to him and tell he is a good boy when he is.
He is reaching sexual maturity as is 1 of the pullets so I don't know if that will change him, but for now, he is taking his responsibilities seriously.

Sometimes roosters need training and they'll be a perfectly fine rooster for your flock. When they attack you, you need to show them your place, which is above him.
Spray him with a hose and not let him within a specific distance from you and he will get the picture. If he attacks you, kick him hard. If he comes at you again, grab him and hold him tight, away from your face. My mom held a bantam that attacked her for probably 30-40 minutes and it actually worked, he hasn't attacked anyone since.
They can have great flock protecting instincts, but deem you a threat to their pecking order. If you can get them to respect your place, you can make an amazing rooster. :)
I would watch your 11y/o closely, he might try to attack other humans if he attacked you. You might have her chase him with a hose one day if he starts acting mean around/at her. I'd hate to have her be afraid of him, as that can trigger more attacks. They sense fear :oops:

Sometimes roosters need training and they'll be a perfectly fine rooster for your flock. When they attack you, you need to show them your place, which is above him.
Spray him with a hose and not let him within a specific distance from you and he will get the picture. If he attacks you, kick him hard. If he comes at you again, grab him and hold him tight, away from your face. My mom held a bantam that attacked her for probably 30-40 minutes and it actually worked, he hasn't attacked anyone since.
They can have great flock protecting instincts, but deem you a threat to their pecking order. If you can get them to respect your place, you can make an amazing rooster. :)
I would watch your 11y/o closely, he might try to attack other humans if he attacked you. You might have her chase him with a hose one day if he starts acting mean around/at her. I'd hate to have her be afraid of him, as that can trigger more attacks. They sense fear :oops:
He and I have had our understanding and my children don't get near them without me there. He respects me and I respect him. He doesn't like to be touched so we don't. The girls and the other cockerel are quite friendly.
The point of my post was simply that I was afraid I would have to get rid of him and now I'm so glad I didn't. He is protecting his flock, even the newest members and I am proud of him.

He and I have had our understanding and my children don't get near them without me there. He respects me and I respect him. He doesn't like to be touched so we don't. The girls and the other cockerel are quite friendly.
The point of my post was simply that I was afraid I would have to get rid of him and now I'm so glad I didn't. He is protecting his flock, even the newest members and I am proud of him.
Ahh okay I get it now. I saw the question mark in your thread title and thought you were unsure. My bad lol

Here is a link to Bee's article. It's quite informative. Depending on how old your kids are, they may be able to train your cockerels, too. It doesn't do much good if you're the only person he respects. He should learn to respect anyone who will be near him. I think it's great that he's taking on the role of protecting the chicks. If he can be trained to respect his humans, it appears that he'll be a good flock leader.
Rooster

If you haven't read beekissed's article about managing roosters, look it up and read it. She gives good advice about having the cockerels learn to respect your space. I'm not a fan of making pets out of my roosters. They have a job, and it doesn't involve harassing me!
Mary
Here is a link to Bee's article. It's quite informative. Depending on how old your kids are, they may be able to train your cockerels, too.
Rooster
Thanks for the article. My girls are 11 & 13 and they are learning how to handle him. I had hoped he would be a little more sociable with us humans but I'm ok with him not. I watch him and he is on alert at all times looking out for everyone.
We have snakes, opossum, raccoon, foxes, coyote, hawks, and eagles for him to watch for. That's a big job and he seems up for it.

Back
Top Bottom