Bad Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SixNolans, May 11, 2019.

1. SixNolans

SixNolans Chirping

Jan 31, 2019
    Beaverdam, Va
    well, I have a beautiful Phoenix rooster that protects the ladies very well. I use to have a stick to remind him who is boss. I got too comfortable with him and he went after me. I ran backwards, stepped in a hole and twisted my leg causing fracture in my fibula. He tried to go after my husband again as well. I think it’s time for him to go. My only concern are the 10 hens he has been protecting and whether they can help themselves if a predator comes around once HE is gone?. They are free range so I worry about them, but also can’t afford anymore injuries. Advice would be wonderful!!!

anderstr196 likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would be rid of him. Many roosters will run the other way for predators anyways. Your hens will learn to lookout for themselves.

If you are truly worried you could acquire another rooster and see if it's any better. You should never be terrorized by your poultry.

3. hilda'smom

hilda'smom Chirping

Apr 30, 2010
    San Jose
    He sounds like my gander in the spring i just bring an umbrella along and open it if the bad boy gets after me, lol he really backs up when I open the umbrella

4. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    My rooster Napoleon was like that. We managed to work things out (took about a year, mostly my fault, I knew nothing about chickens). He's a very good boy and has attacked hawks several times. If you think you can deal with him I'd keep him, but if you are scared then I'd get rid of him. One thing I found that helped boost my confidence when dealing with him is to duct-tape the points of his spurs. You fear the pain, not really him, and if you aren't afraid of being hurt, you'll definitely feel more confidant.

5. SixNolans

SixNolans Chirping

Jan 31, 2019
    Beaverdam, Va
    Yes there is some concern and I can’t seem to enjoy the hens without him being around the whole time. I have two, maybe three new roosters that came with our hens. They are about 14 weeks. One is a Cochin that I think is male. One is a Batam, but I see he may be trouble in the future. Then I have broad rock that always runs away when I walk up.

6. DanEP

DanEP Songster

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Get rid of the rooster. It won't take long for one of the girls to take over as the lookout so that's not a big deal. I like roosters too but have come to use the one strike rule, you attack your soup. A mean roo is no fun and serves no purpose as you should never let them breed since their sons will most likely shre their temperment and you don't need more of them.

7. Lavender Wraps

Lavender Wraps Chirping

May 14, 2015
    Northern California
    We had a beautiful rooster that we raised from a chick. He was fighting with one of the hens, I put my foot between them. He then turned on me, I had to keep kicking him back, he torn my pants leg and broke the skin in a couple of places. I stopped him by grabbing him by the tail. I put him in a pen we use for winter for our hens. I put him back with the hens that night. When I let them out the next morning he came at me again. We gave him away to the neighbor who had only two hens. He came back home and after me again. This time we took him to the feed store. Haven't seen him since. We decided to get another rooster, he's a real sweetheart! A little short guy but he does sound the alarm when danger appears.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I like roosters that run the other way when younger and I encourage that behavior. Friendliness can come later. For now you want respect out of the young ones.

anderstr196 and SixNolans like this.
  9. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Why are you running away from a rooster? He's what one twentieth of your body weight and a quarter of your height?
    Read the post from @Abriana

10. Lavender Wraps

Lavender Wraps Chirping

May 14, 2015
    Northern California
    Has anyone heard about Partridge Rock hens being broody? I have two of these hens and I have to take them out of the nest box every time that I turn around. They'll even sit on an empty nest. When I close the nest up for the night then one of them sits in a corner close to the nest box, all fluffed out. That makes two eggs less a day, what to do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: