bad smelling mouth, yeasty looking gunk in mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosegal, Feb 5, 2012.

1. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    I have recently had so many illnesses and deaths in my flock brought in by some carrier chicks I purchased from someone on auction here. Now my polish baby has a yeasty smelling mouth and is having a very hard time eating. Any ideas on how to help her? They have apple cider vinegar in their water and everything is very clean here.

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    It sounds like sour crop. Do a search on here for sour crop and you should find some good threads to help you.

3. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Thanks, her crop is empty and I don't think that is the problem. I'll keep a close watch on her.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yeasty looking gunk in mouth could be canker. If it's canker, treatment is metronidazole 250mg tablets once a day for 5 days. It can be purchased online as "fishzole."

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

I agree with dawg. You can gently remove the gunk with a Q tip, but the metronidazole is the recommended treatment. Do an online search to see if that is what your chicken looks like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by