BAD STUFF FOR PETS/PEOPLE?????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by d.k, Apr 23, 2008.

1. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Has anyone heard of a BRAND-NEW vet-med for FLEAS called "Primaro" or "Primario", something like that??? My mom called today saying a friend of hers was given it bx her vet and it almost killed HER AND all 5 dogs and 3 cats. I can't find a thing, IN ENGLISH ANYWAY, about it O/L. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I got an email about it (you know, one of those fw: fw: fw:s) regarding adverse effects to humans & animals but haven't verified w/a vet. Heck, I'd never even heard of it...

3. BasenjiFan

BasenjiFan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Arizona
    Could it perhaps have been "ProMeris?" I did a search for new flea medication on the veterinary practice news website, and found a little on ProMeris... It's a Fort Dodge product.

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-cover-stories/manufacturers-veterinarians-target-product-diversion.aspx

I hadn't heard of it yet... but then, I haven't worked for a clinic for almost two years now... besides, I'm in Arizona where fleas aren't a big problem.

Hope this info can help!

Keri

PS active ingredient in dog formula is metaflumizone

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    The product is called ProMeris. As far as I know it is a genuine problem and Fort Dodge are recalling it.

I refuse to use any kind of topical pesticide on my dogs. If it says on the directions to avoid contact with my own skin, why would I want to put it on my dogs'?!

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* That must be it, then. My mom's friend said her dogs had "immediate" diarrhea, vomiting, escullating into convulsions in at least 2 of them-- and SHE had dizzyness, disorientation, anaphalaxis symtoms w/ swelling of lips, trouble breathing, etc. . AND, they live 45 MILES FROM THE NEAREST CLINIC!!! Lucky they lived at all, sounds like!!

6. BasenjiFan

Apr 8, 2008
    Arizona
    glad to hear they are all okay... scary ordeal though.

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Veah, very!!! We are being hit real hard w/ our dog right now and my mom wanted to make sure we didn't try and use it.

8. BasenjiFan

Apr 8, 2008
    Arizona
    Well, like I said, I don't really have any experience with fleas... but I try to use as few chemicals as possible, stick to the more "natural" stuff (I support integrative medicine). Here's a link that may give you some info on natural flea prevention:

http://fiascofarm.com/herbs/health.htm

If you have goats, you've probably come across this site, it's the Fias Co Farm people. Hope that can help you out a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by