bad to have favorites? because i do! *pics*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bibliophile birds, Oct 27, 2009.

1. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

my chicks are 4 weeks old now and their personalities are starting to come through. i'm developing favorites. which is such a bad idea because inevitably some of them are going to have to go (in the freezer). but they are just so cute. here's a few pics.

Blondie (EE): undisputed favorite, Queen (i hope she is a she) of the Flock, and total diva camera hogger

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Chickzilla (EE): desperately needs a new name, but loved all the same

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Tiny (Silkie): instantly adorable because she's so very teeny

[​IMG]

Ernest (Brahma): the little cockerel with all the attitude and legs for miles... and one feather that sticks straight out

[​IMG]

Petunia (Brahma): very girl next door, looks like a song bird

[​IMG]

my poor little Orpingtons and Wyandottes are still a blur. i think it's because they are so uniformly marked... hopefully they will start the be their own chicken soon.

2. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I just adore "Blondy"!! Those legs, on that body is too much! The pics are too cute for words [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. bibliophile birds

thanks! [​IMG] i really do love her.

my best friend came over the other day to watch them play in their pen. i was digging worms from a dirt pile and handing them out and she said "Well, I know who the favorite is." so i asked how she could tell. she said "Well, Blondie keeps following you around and you give her the most worms!" sadly, it's true. she now comes when i whistle! [​IMG]

and she really is a total camera hog. i've got dozens of pics of her because she's always running in front of the other chicks and stealing the spotlight. the red feathers are a recent development. i think she's going to be amazingly beautiful.

i'm thinking she might end up looking like cthrash1's hen [​IMG]:

[​IMG]

4. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Awww! they are cute! And yes its hard not to get attached. They go through so many phases of personality developement, what I thought would be the friendly ones 10 weeks ago are now the ones that stay the furthest away. [​IMG] My RSL is by far the friendliest, nosiest, curious, one that will come see what I'm doing and stay behind and get in the way when the others have left.

BTW, the only way I can tell my GLW's apart is by the color of the butt feathers [​IMG] Have fun with them, they are cute!

5. Malou-La-Croix

Malou-La-Croix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    They are beautiful. With all due respect, are you really going to slaughter some of them? To me it would be like killing the dog. Guess I'm just one of those *vegetarian softies*.

That said, I'm bent over awaiting any chicken eater backlash [​IMG]

They really are precious though--makes me want more babies (chick babies, that is)!

6. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    see, i can raise a cow to eat no problem....but a chicken? nope. once it has a name and personality....it's mine forever....

(how many chicken houses you think i can get on 5 acres??????)

7. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I have favs. too......... luckily mine are all pets

8. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Wow! You can tell your babies are going to be beautiful when they're all grown up. [​IMG] You're right, favorites just somehow happen; My RIR girls, Reba and Brenda Starr, hang out and talk to me the whole time I'm in the coop. I guess I'm just a sucker for attention! [​IMG]

9. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Quote:Once they start jumping on the kids or gang attacking pullets, I don't have too much of a problem with it. Of course, *I* don't do the dirty deed myself [​IMG]

10. bibliophile birds

Quote:i was a vegetarian for years. it came about because of several factors, but one was that my father always told us which cow we were having for dinner (since, naturally, my sister and i had named them all). i just couldn't eat it.

but as i've gotten older and study food ways more (i'm a cultural anthropologist), raising your own food seems more and more important, and practical. i've not eaten beef or pork in 10 years, but i'm going to start as soon as we process them. the difference for me is that i know they had a good life and i know exactly what they've been given (we're organic).

so, with the chickens, ones that are destined for the table don't get names. that doesn't mean that i don't love on them, but i'm distanced a bit. and i'm going to try to do some of the processing myself. i feel that i owe it to my birds to send them off myself rather than passing the job off to someone who doesn't love them the way i do. but it's going to be really really hard. i've never killed anything before (accidental roadkill doesn't count) and i really am a big softy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by