1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bad Turkey

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmclay, Dec 19, 2010.

1. kmclay

kmclay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Kansas
    My turkey and chickens have resided together inside and outside of the chicken coop, but all of a sudden the turkey is picking them up by their combs and freaking them out. WTH? Has anyone else experienced mean turkeys? Will this behavior continue?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Is this an older turk, or one (regardless of sex) that is just now starting to pump sex hormones (jenny/jake - 6 months to a year)?

I'd never keep our turks and chooks in the same run/coop. Size differential combined with potential `bad' attitude is problematic (jennies trying to control flock/jakes sparring and indavertantly injuring chooks/males attempting to breed anything that moves - sometimes the object of desire can be fixed and inanimate). And, if you live in an area where there have been outbreaks of histomoniasis (Blackhead), a protozoal disease that chooks will often harbor without symptoms and can then be passed to turks, there is a greater opportunity for transmission.

Ours free range together without incident but, separate run/shed.

Some folks have kept them together without a problem. But that is a crapshoot.

3. kmclay

Apr 26, 2009
    Kansas
    Huh. Thanks. Good info. They do free range together without a problem, but they also sleep together. We've never had a problem before, that's what is weird. The turkey, who is about 1.5 years old, is a little nuts though, in that he chases geese around trying to.....you know. And yes, I've seen him try inanimate objects too. What a turkey! He had a partner, but she disappeared. Into a coyote's tummy I suspect. Thank you.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have a pet turkey that is housed with the chickens and this is her 2nd winter with them. I've noticed this year that she is less tolerant of them walking near her, but I chalk it up to her age and crankiness. I think she feels more dominant than she did her first year and has settled into her "position" in the coop-so to speak. I think she's cranky just because it's snowy and nasty out and they're cooped up (no pun intended [​IMG]) and she wants them just a little further away from her. During the nice weather, the chickens are all over the place and she has more space around the coop and I think she likes it that way. Maybe that's what is going on with yours. The chickens will learn to keep their distance from your turkey.

5. kmclay

Apr 26, 2009
    Kansas
    Thanks chicks4kids. That could very well be the problem, as we are keeping them cooped more than usual lately. The reason is that several chickens have "gone missing", so obviously something is picking them off. BTW, I love your women...angels....broomstick...thing. [​IMG]

6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:Sounds like it's time to set a trap [​IMG] Catch whatever it is that's snatching your birds. But I would just imagine that it's because they're closer than they normally are--especially since he's a tom. BTW, thanks about my signature line - it is true. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by