Bad Winter Coming?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by southerndesert, Nov 10, 2011.

1. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Wow do we have Hawks down here in Southern Arizona this year and they are a little early for seeing sooooo many!

Often means cold winter to our North and East....

And a dangerous winter for our chickens down here.... [​IMG]

2. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    we are new to raising chickens.and have noticed more hawks around.my husband said its because i'am looking for them because of the chickens.

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    bite. your. tongue. [​IMG] hehe
    We live in Maine, and it is unseasonably warm, which makes me wonder if we are going to get walloped in a month or so!

4. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    According to the Almanac, the New England states and New York are supposed to get two storms between now and Christmas. Down here in PA, we are supposed to get rain and then another possibly dangerous flood between Dec 20-23rd. I am hoping the Almanac is wrong. Of course, my 91yr old great grandfather says we are going to get hit with Nor'easter after Nor'easter and we are in for a real wintery treat... or beating. I'd like a nice, light snowfall weekly, just to keep the ground white and not make a huge mess.

Wanted to add that if the old wive's tale of whatever day of the month you get your first 1"+ of snow is how many wintery storms (1"+) you will get all winter is true, we are looking at 28.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by