1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bad wounds from predator need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pohltrie, May 1, 2017.

1. pohltrie

pohltrie Just Hatched

May 1, 2017
    Cruiser & Bruiser - newly named - got beaten up by something Friday night. I went to feed Saturday morning and found a slaughter. 8 dead guineas. I was picking up the bodies and noticed an odd girl... she had no upper beak (Bruiser) I got her out of the coop, and brought her inside in a makeshift coop in the livingroom. I went back out to finish cleaning the massacre and saw a bleeding boy (Cruiser) his wing was butten off and bones were sticking out on the left side, a hole on his wing on the right side and 2 missing toes to add insult to injury.

We amputated Cruiser's open hanging bones from his wing "elbow joint". Both kids have been bathed and given topical antibiotic cream on their wounds. I have been syringe feeding these babies applesauce and they are lively. We went outside for sunny time today and I have a pic below.

I need advice on what else I can do for my babies and if they will be ok to ever go back in their family coop. Also, very curious if Bruiser's beak will grow back I get a 50/50 yes/no when I have asked vets. Babies were born Feb 23, so we are just over the 2 month mark.

Any help is appreciated

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Poultry can heal up from pretty nasty stuff, especially when young. I might put them back in a co-op but kept separately for a bit until they seem ready to join the rest. The beak? Time will tell.

3. pohltrie

pohltrie Just Hatched

May 1, 2017
    Thank you oldhen. How do you recommend keeping them separately in a big coop? If I put the crate they are in now, in the coop I think the other birds will roost on it & poop on them

4. peacockfeather

peacockfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2014
    Poor little guys! I definitely suggest a product called Blue Koat for wounds. It's an antibacterial spray and covers any redness to prevent them pecking at the wounds. You can also give them low dose/ baby chewable asprain which is safe for birds to take the edge off in terms of pain. I have had success adding half a tablet dissolved in a cup of water for a full size guinea hen, so that dose between the two of them or 1/4 of a tablet (if they're sharing water) would probably help them a lot.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Well, I don't actually know guinea. Perhaps they are less inclined to peck at wounds or at off birds than chickens? You could add them back and see how it goes. I usually put up a temporary wire fence with a circle of welded wire, or even pallets, though we have built a few separate pens to hold birds for various reasons and they come in handy.

6. peacockfeather

May 29, 2014
    In terms of keeping them separate, is there any way to put a divider up so they have their own space? You could also keep them in a dog crate if you have access to one, which is great for quarantine situations.

7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Just toss a sheet or towel over the crate. It will also help keep them quiet and let them rest.

8. pohltrie

pohltrie Just Hatched

May 1, 2017
    Thank you oldhen, I can see if the husband can help with that. The coop is big but its very open so we'd need a roof built in the separation area or they would be mixing.

Peacock, can you get the Blue Koat anywhere?

Also, we looked for baby aspirin, but all they have around here is baby motrin, its a liquid. Is that the same as aspirin?

They are in the crate now - in the house. I think I could tarp it and put them in the coop again. They have been crying for their sibilings when I bring them outdoors.

Do I need to let them heal completely before they go back out? Its a muddy area. Not dirty but we've had alot of rain and weird weather lately. Worries me for infections

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  9. pohltrie

pohltrie Just Hatched

May 1, 2017
    Thank you percheron! I know it seems like common sense, but my brain is lacking from checking on these birdies day & night.

10. peacockfeather

May 29, 2014
    You can probably get Blue Kote (sorry! Misspelled it) at your local feed store, but you can call to double check if they have it. (They should, it's great for all animals.) They sell it in blue and red colors - definitely get the blue.I would NOT give baby Tylenol, as they are different medications and I'm pretty sure the only safe over the counter medication for birds is asprain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by