Badgers????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Maxcine99, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Maxcine99

Maxcine99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2013
    Clinton, MD
    It seems like once we decided to get birds all sort of predators are popping up (well that and the fact that they tore down the forests and drained the swam a few years ago)! Just last week my mom was going out to the car when she saw some "square looking weasel" run as fast as it could away from the porch. I thought it might be skunk or something but she saw it again and was pretty sure it was a badger. I'm no expert but do they eat chickens/duck?? How in the heck do you keep those kinda pests out? They're really dangerous right?! I have a feeling every hungry animal out side is gonna make a beeline for our yard once we get them :(.

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Anything is possible but I seriously doubt that you have badgers in Maryland. I have only seen a few and they were far away from here or there. But if you do end up battling badgers I suppose it is best to fight fire with fire and invest in some Old World badger coursing dogs like Dachshunds or Jack Russel (Patterndale) terriers. Keep us informed about which make the more efficient chicken assassin, the dogs or the badgers. [​IMG] I am unsure but I doubt that the new world and the old world badger are one and the same animal. Good luck.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. Maxcine99

Maxcine99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2013
    Clinton, MD
    Thanks! That was the same thing I thought! Their territory is just outside of MD so it seemed crazy to me till I started seeing ground hogs and all kinds of animals I'd never seen here! And something has been killing and eating few neighborhood strays so I thought maybe that was it since nothing like that's happened since we moved here (23 years ago!)! I hope its not though! XD LOL!!! We're thinking about getting a dog but I'd rather get something that can protect them not eat em lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by