badly injured chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clintwilson59, Sep 14, 2010.

1. clintwilson59

clintwilson59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    last night something got into my pen and ate 1 chick and left a silkie chick witha little cut so this morning i put them in their old brooder(by them i mean my silkie chick and another regular chick). when i got home from school i checked on them and the silkie had i huge hole in its back about 1cm deep and wide, its side was like inflated with air. i gently pressed the bubble and it deflated then i cleaned up the wound with peroxide and a qtip. any advise on what to do now?

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Keep it warm, fed and safe from any further injury, it may pull through and heal up quickly.

3. clintwilson59

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    its eating and drinking and moving around like it doesnt ven know something has happened. i brought it up to the house and put it in its own little cage on the porch.

4. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    If a chick gets a wound and starts bleeding the others will pick at it non stop, so get it seperated with food water and heat.
    The peroxide was probably a good idea too.

5. clintwilson59

Jul 12, 2010
    blanchard, louisiana
    the little guy made it through the night and was walking around when i got home from school, so hopefully that means he/ she will make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by