Badly injured hen... need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Caroki, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Caroki

Caroki New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    Maryland
    New here. Sorry if this gets long. On Thursday morning (Jan 31st) a hawk attacked one of my chickens. This is the 5th attack in 6 weeks. Anyway, this time my DH saw it and stopped the hawk. The hen survived. She crawled under the coop and hid and then he put her in one of the unused nest boxes to rest. Her head was bloody but no visible gashes. We left her out in the coop all day and overnight so she could be with the other hens for company, (only 2 hens left) who wouldn't leave her side. We figured she wouldn't make it through the night. But, she did and as Friday wore on her spunk and energy were less and less so I brought her inside and put her under a heat lamp. I wasn't even sure she'd make it through Friday night. But once again she did. On Saturday she was much more alert and spent a lot of time sleeping standing up which is a good sign. Then this morning her left eye was swollen shut but she still seemed more alert. During all this time she did not eat or drink for 3.5 days and basically sleeps all the time. She is really dehydrated right now and her skin is just hanging off of her so this afternoon I started syringe feeding her some white grape juice every couple of hours. Then tonight I groped her a bit to find out where she is injured and found a puncture wound on her breast just in front of her right wing. I dabbed a little iodine on it and will put some antibiotic ointment on it shortly. But that's all I could find on her. The biggest problem is that when she tries to walk she stumbles and falls onto her face. She basically flops around and then ends up on her head with her butt in the air. Her feet and legs seem to be fine because I've put my hands under her and let her grab my fingers and stand in my hands when I moved her to clean the bedding in her box. So, what is making her fall over. It's like she looses her balance. Since her eye is swollen shut I'm thinking she could have damage to her inner ear? Luckily chickens can regrow their ears!

So anyway, I'm trying to nurse her back to health. I'm wondering if the stumbling is really serious and I'm wasting my time or if it's pain related or other. I'd love to hear some opinions and advice. Thanks all.

2. bwahk

bwahk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    If she hasn't had any water in three days that would be a huge worry for me, I would get water in her if possible (perhaps with an eyedropper). If she doesn't drink she wont make it.

I don't know about the stumbling...

3. Caroki

Caroki New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    Maryland
    Yup. I've been giving her juice every couple of hours today. Will continue tomorrow. Thanks.

4. bwahk

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    Wish I could help more... hope she gets better soon!

5. Caroki

Caroki New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    Maryland
    This is one of her injuries. I find it amazing that she didn't bleed very much at all. She also has some head trauma. She seems to feel pain when I try to look at her head on the side with the swollen eye. I'm thinking her balance issues may be related to that. Poor girl.
    [​IMG]

6. bwahk

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    Oh that looks awful. :( poor baby must really hurt...

Hydrogen peroxide will help keep infection out.

7. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    Be careful with Hydrogen Peroxide! Using it on wounds is still a very debated subject! It could damage the new skin cells that are trying to heal the wound and prevent it from closing easily! But search around on this site and you'll find some great info. Also if you notice her energy becoming less try some sugar water (Not too much sugar), that will give her a little boost! Chicken are incredibly hardy when it comes to injuries so hopefully she will get better quickly!
    Good Luck!

8. bwahk

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    I have never hard that before. Im curious where it is debated... on humans or animals? Ive been using it all my life on both and it definitely heals faster than normal ointments and creams.

9. bwahk

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    *heard -- darn autocorrect

10. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    I think it was actually on this forum where I read some of these debates. But if you have been using it all your life I with good results I guess you're doing it right! How's your hen doing? Any improvement already?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by