Badly Injured Pullet! Neck Injury! PIC ADDED!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickLover98, Jan 20, 2011.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    The new chicks were out of the cage today. They are about 3 months old now, but somebody BADLY injured sweet little Effie's neck! Its a wide open gash. My grandma put Vaseline on it to stop it from bleeding and seal it from infection. What else can I do? I'm afraid she won't make it. I couldn't take it if I lost her. Help me! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

try sealing the edges with superglue if you have any (if you're a young person, you may want to get some assistance with that part) and keep her warm and separated from the others so they don't peck at the injury. I hope your chickie heals with no problems. [​IMG]

3. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Thanks! We're worried though that if we separate her from Clover, her BFF, she'll get cold. We are stuck. I wanna bring her in but my grandma says otherwise. [​IMG]

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Put Effie and Clover in a dog crate together in the coop to prevent others from picking at the wound.

5. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a chick last year with an open neck gash. you must separate from others if they start pecking. he recovered and turned into a grumpy rooster so i had to sell him. i guess the others always picked on him. but it is amazing how they can recover from wounds like that. he didn't have neck feathers for a long time.

6. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Good luck, I hope for a quick recovery!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you have neosporin, I'd put that on the wound. Separate her with a buddy so she can heal. You can give her 1/2 baby aspirin (or 1/4 regular aspirin) crushed in 1 cup of water for pain. (if you feel she needs it)

Relax, she'll probably be fine. I had a pullet injure herself by squeezing in a really tight area and catching herself on a nail that was sticking through. (I didn't realize the nail was there) It went in under her wing and punctured her thigh. She couldn't put weight on her one leg and refused to lay down for a few days. Her sister would lay on her side under this girls chest, so she could support her. [​IMG] After that, she was able to support herself and began laying down again. She is now 5 months old and healed perfectly.

8. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks everyone! Tomorrow, as soon as I get home, I'll check on her. If she is fine, I'll leave her in the cage with Charley, Peeta and Lilly. If it started to bleed again, I will separate her and Clover. Clover has a small gash on her head, but its not bad. I will have to see tomorrow. I don't think I'm prepared to super glue it. I'll see tomorrow. Just pray that she makes it! [​IMG]

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Good luck. Sending lots of [​IMG]. Hope all works out. Please let us know.

10. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Thank you! [​IMG] I will keep you updated. It feels stinky to have a pullet that you hatched yourself get injured by another flock member. There's no evidence of who did it though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by