Badly injured roo UPDATED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AdrieeC, Jan 26, 2011.

1. AdrieeC

AdrieeC Pink Roses Farm

Mar 14, 2010
    Pearl River
    Update!
    He made it through the night. I got up every so often to give him some water with the vitamin electrolyte powder. If it had been more than an hour I gave him two full ml with the syringe. He drank the majority of it. His eyes were open around 8:30 am and he can move around, and stand for short periods, but he is still keeping his head down. The bleeding has stopped and his mouth is clear, so I will feel comfortable feeding him something today. He has not pooped since I brought him in last evening. That makes me think his body needs everything he is getting.

Someone suggested baby bird formula? Where can I get that?
    Thank you to all for thoughts and prayers.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We found our rooster in the yard today..immobile, head down and eyes closed. But still breathing. externally his injuries appear minimal and he has opened his eyes sometimes. However I noticed he has blood coming from his mouth. My Instinctual reaction upon seeing him, and after cleaning him up is that he should be humanly euthanized, however DH is really attached to him, and wants to try to save him. He is now inside in a warm safe place whenever David isn't holding him, and I gave him a shot of Pen G. I realize he may be beyond saving, but for David's sake, is there anything you might suggest to try? I have thought of giving him vitamin and electrolyte water with a syringe, but I am not sure how to try to feed him, or how often. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate them.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Do you have any idea what happened to him? Was he attacked by a predator?
    The blood in the mouth really doesn't sound too good to me. [​IMG]

3. AdrieeC

AdrieeC Pink Roses Farm

Mar 14, 2010
    Pearl River
    I agree east. I am really surprised he is alive. I immediately suggested a swift exit for him, but DH doesn't want to. I suspect he was attacked by a dog...probably the big one that has jumped our fence recently. We should have left them in the tractor, but that's our fault. [​IMG] all the girls are ok.

I am wondering if I could dissolve some chicken food in water and give it to him in the syringe... that is how I give my cat meds... maybe that way he could get food and water at the same time.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I would think that getting some vitamins and water in him is more important than food at this point. He's probably in shock and you really need to keep him hydrated especially if his body is trying to repair itself.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Boy I wish I could tell you what to do as far as the feeding-my fear with him would be aspiration.
    It sounds like he may have internal injuries and I really don't know of anything to do for that, short of taking him to the vet.
    I wish I knew how to help you, your DH and your boy, but this is way over my head. [​IMG]

6. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    I don't have any advice, but I will send some healing thoughts your way. I hope your boy starts to feel better soon!

7. AdrieeC

AdrieeC Pink Roses Farm

Mar 14, 2010
    Pearl River
    If he makes it through the night, I'll see about taking him to the vet. He seems to have stopped bleeding and I was able to get some vitamin and electrolyte powdered water into him. That is a good sign at least.

8. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    good luck hope he makes it

9. kimfeatherfriends123

kimfeatherfriends123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2010
    boonville, in
    [​IMG]

My rooster was also badly injured. He was blind and his entire scalp gone, only bone showing. He is now happy and hanging out with three hens. I used baby bird formula in a syringe to feed him until he could see. Warmth and electrolytes are a must. Pedialyte if you don't have poultry electrolytes. All you can do is try. If he passes away he will go with the warmth and compassion you gave him. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  10. kimfeatherfriends123

kimfeatherfriends123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2010
    boonville, in
    he didn't like his bandage much

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by