badly injured silkie hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rocky11, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocky11

rocky11 New Egg

Oct 7, 2011
    A few hours ago, i noticed my silkie hen "Rocky" who i LOOOOVEEE - her comb was bleeding. It looked like it was ripped off. I brought her in the house to clean her up and noticed another wound on the top of her head. She is not new to the flock. i have 6 hens who have all been together since they were two days old and are all very nice. I have one hen that's been broody lately "Alley" and territorial over the nesting boxes although i have 4 of them. I'm thinking Rocky was in the nesting box and Alley started pecking her practically to death. I cleaned her up with peroxide, betadine and applied neosporin. I have her isolated and comfortable but it looks to me now that her head is swollen on the top and her brain is exposed. I dont know what else i can do to nurse her back to health. I will most likely take her to a vet in the AM...I read that swelling requires prednisone.

[​IMG]

2. alcap

alcap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Hopefully someone with some experience can help ASAP !

3. Melanie 11

Melanie 11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Athens
    Rocky11 I am so sorry!!!!! I don't know what else you can do [​IMG] One of my younger roo's got attacked this morning. He is a bloody mess to. Hope someone can help you.

4. rocky11

rocky11 New Egg

Oct 7, 2011
    Thank you! I hope your Roo is ok!!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by