Badly limping hen, no physical damage, no Mareck's..

Justafarmgirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 6, 2010
Carroll County, MD
My roo's favourite hen has a serious limp, and I thought it was because he was rather rough with her when they went at it- but it's been over a week and I've seen no improvement. Cleaned off the bottoms of her feet, and there's nothing stuck in her claws that I can see, and she's been vacinnated for mareck's. There's no sluggisheness, either. She's using her wings to get around, and just as active as ever, loves being with the other chickens, etc. I checked her thoroughly- she doesn't have any cuts, broken bones, etc. I'm thinking a sprain? She's a good layer, so maybe egg-bound? But I dont know what an eggbound hen looks like.

Help? I'm going to take her to the vets soon if I can't figure it out, but thats a bill I can't afford at this moment.

I will let someone better qualified address the possibility of her being eggbound.

I saw one of my roos trip over a weed one day. Within a couple of days he began limping. I decided to leave him alone and see if it healed on it's own. It didn't, I went out a couple of days after that to find he could barely walk at all. I brought him in and put him in a dog cage. I had to leave him alone in a room to keep him from getting excited. I felt horrible and he was NOT happy at all. A week later I let him out and he was 100% again. Maybe some forced R&R will do the trick.

i just bumped a post from christmas time on ahen that i had
does it sound like the same thing...
it doesn't always end badly
good luck
the post is called " silkie hen paralyzed"
let me know what you think

Quote:
Thanks! I'll see if some R+R does the trick. I'll go clear some space for her in the dog pen right now.

Just make sure she is not eggbound or having any other problems. The crate will help you keep track of laying, poop, eating, etc... Keep us posted.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom