Badly pecked/bloodied chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rwgrout, Jun 22, 2017.

1. rwgrout

rwgrout Chirping

Apr 9, 2011
    One of my 3-4 week old chicks escaped and got pecked pretty badly from one of the adults! Poor little thing's rump is completely bald and has a bloody spot I'd say a little bit larger than a quarter. Pretty big for a tiny chick!! Surprisingly, she doesn't seem too worse for the wear. Still energetic, eating, and drinking. Doesn't seem to be bothering her. I guess my bigger concern is how to keep it clean and from getting infected? Your guidance is appreciated.

2. Chicken gurl

Chicken gurl Chirping

Mar 22, 2016
    Arizona
    I suggest putting some Vetricyn on it (whatever's in that blue bottle is magic) I had a similar issue and it cleared it up. I would separate her from the others so they don't pick and make it worse. Best of luck!

13ChickenGirl likes this.
  3. 13ChickenGirl

13ChickenGirl Songster

May 20, 2017
    Vetricyn!!!!!! Maybe pull it inside if you have a dog crate? Clean it. If it's really bad put liquid bandage spray on it.

4. 13ChickenGirl

13ChickenGirl Songster

May 20, 2017
    I pretty much said the same as Chicken Gurl. :highfive:

5. Chicken gurl

Chicken gurl Chirping

Mar 22, 2016
    Arizona
    Great minds think alike! :wee

6. 13ChickenGirl

13ChickenGirl Songster

May 20, 2017
    Chicken Gurl, you're from AZ? How are your animals taking the 118-120 degree heat?

Chicken gurl likes this.
  7. rwgrout

rwgrout Chirping

Apr 9, 2011
    Thanks both! I'll get to the feed store today and pick some up.

8. Chicken gurl

Chicken gurl Chirping

Mar 22, 2016
    Arizona
    Well, today was the first day I lost one to heat. Other than that it's a struggle. But we installed an attic fan in our coop for the princesses :woot

13ChickenGirl and Junochick like this.
  9. Chicken gurl

Chicken gurl Chirping

Mar 22, 2016
    Arizona
    In the future, if you do other livestock (or just poultry). ALWAYS keep a bottle of that stuff handy, it's the liquid gold of the show world! Works on all livestock

10. rwgrout

rwgrout Chirping

Apr 9, 2011
    :bow Thanks to you both for the wonderful suggestion! After just a few days of using this miracle spray my chicks poor little bum has gone from torn up to a little spot about the size of a dime. Can't thank you enough

13ChickenGirl and Junochick like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: