Badly Pecked Chicken :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nugget66, Jul 6, 2010.

1. nugget66

nugget66 Hatching

Jul 6, 2010
    Hello all [​IMG]
    I have 3 goldline chickens who have been in my care for 6 weeks now. One of the chickens, Nugget, has been badly pecked around her tail feathers, exposing flesh which has been bleeding.[​IMG] I have seperated her from the others and applied an antiseptic spray. I am posting this here to find possible solutions.
    How long roughly do you think it will take for the wound to heal and the feathers to grow back?
    How long should Nugget be seperated from the others? (the two runs are close together so they are still in sight of one another)
    How best should i treat Nuggets injury?
    How could i stop the other chickens from bullying her in the future?
    I appreciate i have alot of questions but i would be very thankful for your thoughts.
    Hopefully you guys have some answers [​IMG]

Katie & Scott

2. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    How long roughly do you think it will take for the wound to heal and the feathers to grow back?

the feathers can take some time to grow back... boost her protein feed her eggs and protein rich foods like fish

How long should Nugget be seperated from the others? (the two runs are close together so they are still in sight of one another)

I would keep them separate until the wounds are healed, no more scabbing or redness

How best should i treat Nuggets injury?

separate, keep wound clean and dry, antibiotic ointment has some healing medications in it... but unless it is showing signs of infection i would hold off

How could i stop the other chickens from bullying her in the future?

I watch and see who the bullies are... when i find out they soon learn that I am the queen of the coop... I will knock them off the roost, I will hold them (not hurt them) until they settle, I have also removed the bully from the coop for a few days to lower her on the pecking order. Sometimes a hen or a rooster cant be rehabilitated from the bully mindset.. and other action may have to be taken.. like rehoming... if that is the only hen she is picking on there should not be much trouble in knocking the chip off her shoulder

All my roosters and my hens know I am boss... if there is problems at night with who sits where I will take everyone off the roost and not let them have their fave spot. I have a 5 gallon water jug like the ones you put on the cooler.. I have a hole cut in one and i will slide that over their fave spot for the night.. as if I was saying this is my spot dont forget that!.. works most of the time [​IMG]

3. nugget66

nugget66 Hatching

Jul 6, 2010
    Thanks alot this is really helpful! [​IMG] Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: