Badly sick chicken please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mrsroeder2012, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Mrsroeder2012

Mrsroeder2012 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2012
    Jamestown,Ky
    My Coop
    I have a Cochin that I noticed today that won't eat or drink or stay awake and I have no idea what to do please help, I gave her some yogurt and she ate it after a forced to her but she won't move and she won't stay awake unless I hold her with my hand under her.she also take gasps of air it looks like, I need some advice or something..........

2. Mrsroeder2012

Aug 8, 2012
    Jamestown,Ky
    My Coop
    Omg she getting worse very loveless now and very runny poop and she's pooping on her self,I take very great care of my chicken so I don't know what is wrong

3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    sorry to hear about your chicken, how old is she?

4. Mrsroeder2012

Aug 8, 2012
    Jamestown,Ky
    My Coop
    Just lost her at 513 pm I don't understand after I picked her up liquid came out of mouth

5. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    man, sorry to hear that. did this problem come on suddenly? did her crop seem full, squishy, or hard? she may have had a crop issue like sour crop or an impacted crop, that would explain why she wouldn't eat/drink

6. Mrsroeder2012

Aug 8, 2012
    Jamestown,Ky
    My Coop
    I wasn't sure on her age I bought her last year what do u mean by her crop ?

7. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG]

the crop is the first thing the food goes into when the chicken eats, it usually looks like a big lump on one side of the chest. sometimes if the chicken eats too much dried hay or grass or other material that doesn't break down well it can clog the crop and create an impaction. fluid coming out of her mouth makes me think she was impacted, that's why I ask if it seem large or firm

8. Mrsroeder2012

Aug 8, 2012
    Jamestown,Ky
    My Coop
    No it was mooshy and small

9. HeyItsDebV

HeyItsDebV Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    I am so sorry...this is exactly what I found last week at this time. Dawg on the forum, said it may be worms, so I went to farm store and got Wazine 17 wormer and wormer paste for horses (IVERMECTIN paste 1.87) and gave each hen a pea sized dose of the paste soaked on a cube of bread. I took one hen out of the coop at a time and fed the treat of bread, so to make sure each hen got treated.
    The Wazine 17 liquid, I mixed 2 Tablespoons to a gallon of water and I eyedroppered some water in her mouth
    I washed her tail area off in a warm soapy DAWN dishsoap bath at the sink and then wrapped her in a towel in a dog crate in front of a heater. She did not fight the bath. She was not breathing well and she breathed thru her open beak vs. her nostrils on her beak! ? I fed her yogurt. I have kept my sick hen crated since last weekend. I didnt think she's live thru the night but she did. The wormer has worked for now. Sick hen has solid poop again, but it is bright green and the rest of the flock has not accepted her back into the flock which is odd.
    Good luck.
    Keep in touch.
    Praying for all of our sick hens.

10. HeyItsDebV

HeyItsDebV Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    Mrs Roeder, I am so sorry. This is so upsetting. I am sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by