Badly Splayed Legs- ideas for a brace please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by learycow, Mar 7, 2012.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    This is one of my welsh harlequins that hatched Jan 21st. She got crushed around 1 week old and broke a leg. I splinted it and she seemed to heal just fine. Now, she has 2 splayed legs. I have her in a pen with deep hay for bedding so she has something to grip when trying to walk. Both legs go out to the side.
    I am just wondering what the best sort of leg bracing would be. If there is anyone out there who has fixed legs like this and has pictures of a bracing system, the help would be greatly appreciated!
    (please excuse the wetness. I just gave her a bath but figured a picture would be the best way to show what I am trying to fix)
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I haven't had to do this, but Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks says to tie a short piece of yarn, not too tight for circulation, between the duckling's legs. So, loop yard around the top of one leg, draw the legs together to a normal distance apart, and tie the top of the other leg. I would think you could use something soft and stretchy, that would stop stretching when the legs are the normal distance apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by