Badly Splayed Legs- ideas for a brace please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by learycow, Mar 7, 2012.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG]
    This is one of my welsh harlequins that hatched Jan 21st. She got crushed around 1 week old and broke a leg. I splinted it and she seemed to heal just fine. Now, she has 2 splayed legs. I have her in a pen with deep hay for bedding so she has something to grip when trying to walk. Both legs go out to the side.
    I am just wondering what the best sort of leg bracing would be. If there is anyone out there who has fixed legs like this and has pictures of a bracing system, the help would be greatly appreciated!
    (please excuse the wetness. I just gave her a bath but figured a picture would be the best way to show what I am trying to fix)

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I haven't had to do this, but Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks says to tie a short piece of yarn, not too tight for circulation, between the duckling's legs. So, loop yard around the top of one leg, draw the legs together to a normal distance apart, and tie the top of the other leg. I would think you could use something soft and stretchy, that would stop stretching when the legs are the normal distance apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by