Badly torn comb is bleeding & attracting peckers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klrgolden, Dec 3, 2009.

1. klrgolden

klrgolden New Egg

Nov 18, 2009
    Hi all. This is the first time I've posted, I really need some advice. I have 4 hens, each about 10 months old, got them last June. Daisy, our RIR, somehow tore her comb on one side all along the base. I can't for the life of me figure out how she did that. I came in to check on them before bed and there was blood splattered everywhere around the roost and dripping down her beak. She doesn't seem particularly distressed, and let me clean the wound, apply pressure to stop the bleeding and dress it with neosporin. But Pox, our rather pushy Barr Rock, keeps pecking at it causing it to bleed again. So I isolated her in the dog crate I keep on the floor of the shed inside the chicken's area. I hate to keep her separate from her sisters, especially since the other two don't seem to be working her over. Should I isolate Pox instead? How long should I keep this up?

They are extremely healthy, great layers, get along fine and have never had any problems, until now. I moved them from my garden pen/small coop up to my larger shed coop closer to my house last night. We are sub-zero at the moment here in Colorado and a couple of my hens started showing signs of frostbite on their large single combs so I wanted to move them to more protected quarters. The shed coop is larger, warmer, and easier to get to from my house, but it has no access outside. My plan is to keep them there only at night through winter and when the weather is really unpleasant. On days above 20 degrees, I'll cart them down the hill in the dog crate and turn them loose in the garden for the day. My two young daughters and I have become extremely attached to our girls and want to do what's best for them. Thanks for any words of wisdom here!

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I would isolate her from the others until her comb heals. Can you use a small piece of fencing to keep them separate but still see each other?

3. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    I use "Rooster Booster Pick-No-More Lotion." It's great!

4. klrgolden

klrgolden New Egg

Nov 18, 2009
    Thanks guys! I've separated her from her buddies but inside their enclosure so she can see them. Placed a jug full of hot water in with her last night since we're below zero. The wound looks good, healing. Will let them out together today and keep an eye on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by