Badly wounded Bird! In dire need of help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by quail gggggggggg, Jun 19, 2019.

1. quail gggggggggg

quail gggggggggg In the Brooder

Dec 15, 2018
    Ok, so one of my 7 or 8 week old Italian male quail was crowing, so I put him in with the other adult quail. They are all females, except 2, so I figured they would be nice to the male. I came back about 4 hours later, and basically the whole back of head was taken off all the way to the skull. I moved him to a cage in my garage by himself, and am feeding him 24% protein game bird starter, and giving him nutria drench water. What else can I do to help him? If it gets infected, I will cull him to put him out of his misery.

2. quail gggggggggg

Dec 15, 2018
    IMG_0124.JPG IMG_0123.JPG IMG_0122.JPG

3. CJLR

CJLR Chirping

Jun 9, 2019
    Make sure bedding is clean and put antibiotic ointment on it and probiotics in his water you can get it at a feed store

4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Cut away the feathers dragging in the wound. Then rinse it with saline, vetericyn, or theracyn (or equivalent product.) Then coat the top of his head with antibiotic ointment.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is he awake and alert, or in shock? Can you clean his wound with saline or Vetericyn, and apply some plain antibiotic ointment twice a day to keep the wound from drying out? If he is able to drink, give him a couple of drops of poultry NutriDrench, and offer some water up to his beak with a scoop. Can you post a picture?

6. courtsmarans

courtsmarans Chirping

Jun 8, 2019
    NW Ohio
    On top of everyone's suggestions, make sure flies/gnats are not bothering the wound

7. quail gggggggggg

Dec 15, 2018
    yes, he is away from flies and gnats, and yes, he is awake. He is acting strange though. He is sluggish, and is not moving away from me as I try to pick him up.

Willowspirit likes this.
  8. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    That'd be shock. If you can keep him warm and provide electrolyte water, that should help pep him up a little bit. (1 tbsp corn syrup, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 pinch salt, 2 qt water.)

9. quail gggggggggg

Dec 15, 2018
    I cut away the feathers, and cleaned the wound with saline, and let him rest for a couple of minutes. I came back and he had passed away, presumably from blood loss. Thank you all for your help and God bless you all.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  10. Unicornlife3316

Unicornlife3316 Songster

Apr 21, 2018
    Bryan, TX
    So sorry for your loss (((hugs)))

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: