Baffled! Breed of my new Roo?! Help please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AshleyMarie17, Jan 29, 2017.

1. AshleyMarie17

AshleyMarie17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Southern Alabama
    We were given New roosters recently... 2 buff Orpingtons, a a dominecker, and this guy... All are young and get along, so we are still in the process of deciding which breed of rooster (or roosters) to keep and which will go in the pot. Problem is, we know nothing about this guy other than he is much more beautiful in person than the photo gives him credit for. We are wanting to raise dual purpose birds this year as well as collect eggs. We may have two separate flocks and keep two of the roosters. Anyhow, any knowledge or advice for this breed would be massively appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's a mixed breed.

From what I can see, and the breeds of the other birds, I'm thinking a barred Rock crossed with a buff Orpington.

1 person likes this.
  3. AshleyMarie17

Feb 23, 2015
    Southern Alabama
    [​IMG]

4. AshleyMarie17

Feb 23, 2015
    Southern Alabama

I wonder if he would be good for breeding? Or if we should just eat him. I like him alot, although he and the dominecker seem to be the two less dominant roos...with this mix breed on being the omega. He's pretty friendly to me though. Tough calls lol

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Depends on what you want in chicks.

Sounds like you're not breeding pure bred birds anyway, so I don't think a specific breed really matters. He'll give you half barred chicks, half non-barred (over non barred hens, that is). If he has a buff parent and a black parent, you'll get some colorful offspring putting him over different colored hens. Using the other barred rooster (what you're calling a dominecker), you'll get basically all black barred chicks. Myself, I prefer the more colorful flock, so I'd go with the mixed breed bird. But, temperament trumps pretty much everything else. I don't care how blessed pretty you are, if you're mean or disrespectful, it's the pot for you [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae

1 person likes this.
  7. AshleyMarie17

Feb 23, 2015
    Southern Alabama

Thank you for the information! I love a more colorful flock as well. I would like good layers and good meat birds. If they're mean-in the pot they go! I can't have aggression towards humans because I'm teaching my daughters, almost 8 and 5 to care for them and raise them. However I would like more dominant rooster because we have vermin out here in the woods and I need some flock protection! Lol. The seemingly pure buff Orpingtons are friendly to us and seem to run the show so far. Also they are the two largest we have. May keep one of those and this guy, separate the flocks and have plenty of hens for both...one for eatin eggs and one for raising our own continually. So much to learn and I tend to over think everything! Lol

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Mixed breed.

9. AshleyMarie17

Feb 23, 2015
    Southern Alabama
    Recently had someone say Birchen. What do y'all think?

10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Could he be a Bielefelder? I'm admittedly not an expert, but the coloring is similar to my Bielefelder hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by