Baffled by lack of eggs, Age? Karma?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jerseys in NOLA, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Jerseys in NOLA

Jerseys in NOLA New Egg

Nov 5, 2010
    I have 2 Jersey Giants that I acquired from a friend in June 2010. They are 3 yrs and 3.5 yrs old respectively. After their transition to my home and a breif acclimation, they began laying again with some regularity (approx 3-4 eggs per week total). All was well until late August - early September. No eggs since.
    According to my friend, both chickens were healthy and regular producers when I acquired them.
    I live in New Orleans: warm summer and very pleasant October weather, They have a coop and free range in a small 1500 square ft. yard. I have scoured the area and no eggs are hidden. I feed them a regular diet of Purina Layena, sometimes scratch but rarely.

Are they too old to produce or can their be another reason? Their life is very consistent and I am not aware of any factors that could cause stress.
    As I am now attached to them as pets, they will live a content life. Am I connected to these ladies for the next 5+ years with no omelets??????

J in NOLA

2. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    Try putting them under lights for 16 hours per day. That should do the trick. You can get a solar light for around $40 at a hardware store. They are very easy to mount also.

3. Jerseys in NOLA

Jerseys in NOLA New Egg

Nov 5, 2010
    Thank you. I had heard short daylight affects egg laying although there seemed to be plenty of daylight in early September this far South. I will try your suggestion. At their age (3-3.5) should they be producing eggs? What is the expected egg period for Jersey Giants?
    FYI. I believe they were purchased from your hatchery.

J in NOLA

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    At that age they should be laying at least an egg or two a week and I doubt that being so far south the amount of light would be that much of a factor yet. I suspect they may be in some sort of moult--this generally occurs for spring birds that begin laying in the fall months--it is a kind of annual thing. Give them a month or two and they should be laying again.

5. Jerseys in NOLA

Jerseys in NOLA New Egg

Nov 5, 2010
    Woodmort:
    Thanks so much for your advice.
    1 or both did moult sometime in late Sept b/c feathers were everywhere. Is there a period of post moult that they recuperate?
    I wouldn't expect too many eggs during our winter (Dec-Feb), is this correct?
    I appreciate your tip of expected eggs (1-2 per week). How old do you think Jerseys stop laying altogether?

6. ChickenEllis

ChickenEllis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    Sounds like they are still in moult mode.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by