baffled on this wild bird identification

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
OK, we have never seen this before, and we think these were migrating birds and are dying to know what they were. I have researched on the net and come up zip, so I was hoping someone somewhere on here might recognize this. We found a flock of these birds in the large wetland area which borders the very large woodland behind our house, and there are also lots of fields. It was a beautiful warm sunny day today and these birds were foraging on the ground, where the water had dried up in the swamp, so maybe looking for bugs/ frogs?. They flew to to the trees when we approached. They have a high warbling call. We got a fairly good look at one; his body was dark colored, maybe dark gray or brown, possibly black. His head and neck were goldish-orange, Also, the neck feathers were very long, similar to what you find on a rooster. About seven or eight inches long. Anyone? What is this bird?
hu.gif

I tried whatbird before byc and it was no help at all. And we didn't have a camera with us,unfortunately. I'm not familiar with a yellow headed blackbird, we have red-winged's here and it wasn't that. Not an oriole, either.

Hey, I googled the yellow headed blackbird, and it is very similar to what we saw! The call doesn't match though, but maybe they have more than one. I will ask my DS what he thinks, he was with me, but I think it is very close. And that would be their habitat and they would be migrating now. But you know how bird identification is.....if he thinks I[m wrong, I'll let you know!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom