BAG BALM FOR COMBS/ WATTLES????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bambamsdad, Jan 25, 2013.

1. bambamsdad

bambamsdad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2012
    Davis Junction,IL
    ANYONE USE THIS OR TRIED IT ON THEIR CHICENS / ROOSTERS TO PREVENT FROSTBITE LOOKS LIKE A COUPLE OF MY ROOS MIGHT BE AFFECTED GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY JUST WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANYONE ELSE WHO MIGHT HAVE TRIED IT AND WHAT THE RESULTS WERE??

2. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

I used to live in NY and I used bag balm religiously in the winter. If I didn't, their combs and wattles would get badly frostbitten. Its like one of those North Pole swimmers greasing themselves down with whale blubber to keep the heat in.

3. bambamsdad

Jul 4, 2012
    Davis Junction,IL
    THATS WHAT I FIGURED LOOKS LIKE A FEW OF MY ROOS GO BIT GONNA TRY SEE IF IT HELPS HOPE THE DAMAGE ISNT TO SEVERE. COUPLE LOOK WORSE THAN THE OTHERS WAS HARD TO TELL AS THEY HAD BATTLE WOUNDS ALSO WASNT SURE IF FROST BITE OR SCABS BUT SHOULD HELP BOTH I HOPE. CURRENTLY IN A BACHELOR PAD AND WERE PRETTY BEAT UP BEFORE THE REAL COLD HIT. FELT A COUPLE THEY DIDNT SEEM TO BE IN ALOT OF PAIN AND WE DID HAVE A HEAT SPELL OF 28 TODAY LOL!!! THANKS

4. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Their combs are pretty resilient, I've had them turn blue and then go back to red after applying the bag balm.

28 huh? Today it dipped below 40 and we were freezin our butts off!

5. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Make sure your flock has good ventilation in the coop and let them get some fresh air, too.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  6. bambamsdad

Jul 4, 2012
    Davis Junction,IL
    JUST GOT BACK IN BOUT 5 DEGREES NOW WITH THE WIND CHILL!! FOUND AN INTRESTING USE FOR 250W HEAT LAMP (BAG BALM WARMER)!!!!!!!!!! THE BOYS ENJOYED THE TREATMENT MORE THAN I THOUGHT BUT IMAGINE IF SOMEBODY RUBBED MY FROZEN PARTS WITH WARM SAUVE ID BE HAPPY TOO!!!!!!!!! MY COOPS PRETTY WELL VENTILATED ITS JUST BEEN BRUTAL LATELY -15 -20 AT NIGHT AND HAVE SOME VERY LARGE COMBS TO DEAL WITH ROCKS, GIANTS, ORPS, ETC. WAS HOPEING THE LAMPS WOULD BE ENOUGH BUT DOESNT SEEM TO BE THE CASE. HOPE I CAUGHT IT IN TIME BUT MY BUFF ORP SEEMS TO HAVE GOTTEN THE WORST OF IT BUT LIKE I SAID SOME COULD BE BATTLE WOUNDS AS WELL. I RECENTLY SEPARATED ALL THE ROOS TO CLEAN OUT MY HENS TO START PURE BREEDING SO THEY BEEN AT EACH OTHER PRETTY HARD OVER THE LAST WEEK OR SO. WILL UPDATE TO LET YA KNOW IF I SEE ANY IMPROVEMENT. SUPPOSED TO BE UP TO 50 TUESDAY SO THEY WILL GET A LITTLE BREAK TIME TO BREAK OUT THE SHORTS LOL!!! THANKS PETE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by