Bagels

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by vfem, Jan 8, 2010.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I took a stab at bagels from a simple all use whole wheat bread dough recipe... details and photos on my blog.

http://fromseed.blogspot.com

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I have been wanting to try my hand at bagels. Those look yummy! Thank you for the inspiration!

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Those look dee-lish! : 9

I got through a lot of bagels and would love to make my own.
    Right now I wait for the Dutch Farms brand to go on sale fo $.99 and stock up the freezer.

How vital is the whole wheat gluten in the Master (that you replaced with corn flakes)?
    If I leave it out completely will I still end up with a usable Master Dough?

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I started making bagels 2 weeks ago.There plain bagles but there better then any store bought I have ever tried.

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Yumm! They look delicious.

I haven't made bagels in ages. Maybe I'll do them again soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    2dogsfarm - the vital wheat gluten is used to help the bread rise nicely and keep it from being too dense; especially when using whole grain flours as they contain less gluten than white flour.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    You can add more white flour and less wheat flour if you don't have vital gluten which I didn't have. However, I also used some honey and milk to replace some water. This helped soften the inside bread. However, it was WAY denser then you would probably be used to.

BUT the desity of the bread in the bagel recipe without the vital wheat gluten was PERFECT. If you are only making the dough for bagel I would suggest not using the vital wheat gluten on those.

Just let the dough refridgerate overnight before doing the bagel process! SUPER yummy chewy insides... just the way I like them. [​IMG]

8. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    vfem:
    since the Master keeps for a couple weeks refrigerated I would use it only for bagels so density won't be a problem.
    I like a bagel to have some chew, hate the bread-like storebought ones like Sara Lee >: P

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by