Bagged Food

soccrkep1

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
I'm looking for a bag food to replace the organic, no soy, non-gmo chick starter that I have been feeding my ducks (yes, I've been adding Niacin). The bag should be finished in the next week. They are currently 4 weeks old. I keep reading conflicting info about how much protein they need at this age. Is 17% about right - I should be looking for a grower? What brands should I be looking for? It seems to be hard to find something organic in a crumble. I think I want a crumble...is that better, like less mess, or should I go for pellets (I'm just afraid that would be too much of a transition from their starter feed to pellets, but maybe I'm wrong)? I've googled and googled, but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, so I thought I'd turn to y'all for help. And I did read other threads, but most brands suggested don't seem to be organic.

I can't help on organic specifically as i don't use it here. Protein levels... this as you have seen is a wildly debated one. Mine are on a 16% and all birds have access to the ground and with the exception of the calls free range, i also feed whole corn. At 4wks a grower would be appropriate and/or all flocks, flock raiser to if your desire.,

There are advantages to pellets less waste and less choke, that said if you breed like i do i often have very young ducks out with the flock so for now i am using a crumb...

I have raised my flock on an 18% all flock sort of food and that was fine, so has been the current 16% i haven't really found a magic number and again opinions vary a lot of the actual #'s based upon aging, Storey's guide to ducks has info, so does Metzers hatchery...

Unfortunately, not a one size fits all answer, but hope i helped a bit.

I also don't use and haven't found soy free, organic duck food but I am using grower/finisher and it is 15% protein and is pellet. It's working really well for us and my ducks waste was less with the pellets. I started them on it around 4-5 weeks. I also am adding niacin still and they free range for a few hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom