Bagging up Peacock for travel

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
I have sold my 3 year old Peacock, Mozart. Hooray! I have agreed to meet the buyer half way since she lives so far away which will mean
I will drive about 2 1/2 hours and transfer him to her and the cages that she brings for him. I don't want any mishaps of having him escape
during the transfer from my cage to hers (since we will be outdoors somewhere in the open) so I thought I might try the bagging technique
to keep him secure. I've never done it before. I've read about it and talked about it before on this forum...but I am a bit nervous about
actually doing it.

Question: If I use a cleaned out feed bag with a corner cut out for his head..and secure his feet with masking tape...and secure the open end
of the bag with tape as well...should he be safe and sound? Will he be really uncomfortable? Is it treating him cruelly or will he be just fine???

Any experience in doing this? Any suggestions or advice will be sooooo appreciated!

Keep the hole for the head small.
IMG_0784.JPG

A pillowcase is more likely to tear than a paper feed bag. I wouldn't use the plastic feed bags because they do not breathe or let moisture pass through making the birds hot, be sure to use paper. We do not tape the legs, we just wrap the bag around them and either tape or wire the bag around the legs and ahead of the chest making a carrying handle. Here is another example.
1626583179795.png
1626583179795.png

A pillowcase is more likely to tear than a paper feed bag. I wouldn't use the plastic feed bags because they do not breathe or let moisture pass through making the birds hot, be sure to use paper. We do not tape the legs, we just wrap the bag around them and either tape or wire the bag around the legs and ahead of the chest making a carrying handle. Here is another example. View attachment 2764035View attachment 2764035
Thanks for the great photos. I still cannot visualize where the feet go. I know I asked this same question last year so sorry for the repetition, but are the feet pulled out behind him so he can't stand up? Or are they inside the bag? Or does it even matter?

Also, he has already dropped most of his train feathers but still has a couple left. Can I cut them off when I bag him or does that cause him any distress?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions!

You are welcome. The legs are pulled straight out behind him, the legs and the tail are wrapped with the bag and then secured with either tape or wire or both. This is a good time to remove, not cut, but pull all of the train feathers. If you gently pull with a twist the feathers will pop right out, this allows the new feathers to all come back in evenly and they will look much better. Big breeders with lots of birds will routinely pull all of the cocks trains this time of year after most of the feathers have fallen out.

Yeah, well that's what happens when you get old like us and have CRS. It happens to me a lot.
Yes...that's why I apologized for repetition of my questions from last year. Thanks for sticking up for me. LOL

By the way - are those 50 lb feed bags? Most of mine are 25 lb bags (I am old and can't lift 50 lbs anymore) but I may have a 50 lb bag or two if I look around a bit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom