Bagging up Peacock for travel

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
I have sold my 3 year old Peacock, Mozart. Hooray! I have agreed to meet the buyer half way since she lives so far away which will mean
I will drive about 2 1/2 hours and transfer him to her and the cages that she brings for him. I don't want any mishaps of having him escape
during the transfer from my cage to hers (since we will be outdoors somewhere in the open) so I thought I might try the bagging technique
to keep him secure. I've never done it before. I've read about it and talked about it before on this forum...but I am a bit nervous about
actually doing it.

Question: If I use a cleaned out feed bag with a corner cut out for his head..and secure his feet with masking tape...and secure the open end
of the bag with tape as well...should he be safe and sound? Will he be really uncomfortable? Is it treating him cruelly or will he be just fine???

Any experience in doing this? Any suggestions or advice will be sooooo appreciated!

Keep the hole for the head small.
IMG_0784.JPG

A pillowcase is more likely to tear than a paper feed bag. I wouldn't use the plastic feed bags because they do not breathe or let moisture pass through making the birds hot, be sure to use paper. We do not tape the legs, we just wrap the bag around them and either tape or wire the bag around the legs and ahead of the chest making a carrying handle. Here is another example.
1626583179795.png
1626583179795.png

I wasn't trying to be a smart alec and def. no apology needed...I really am glad to see this info. again.
I recently needed to move some this way and... since I had done it before years ago but also suffer from CRS was glad to find the info here from last year ( recently before this similar thread showed up again) in order to get it right, lol.
Have BOTH threads bookmarked now !
It worked well...do appreciate the q and a on this subject here and the pics. are great !

She also carries one of the white genes, without test breeding there is no way to determine which one it is unless you know the parents but with the knowledge that the breeder has I doubt she could shed any light on the mystery. Beautiful girl, when you look for a mate consider a White out of BS parents.
YOU ARE AWESOME! I think you are right! She actually just layed another egg when I went to do night check on them. I guess I will try my luck and put that one in the incubator as well. Thank you for all your help!!

Funny story. I watched Geralds video early in the day on Sunday. I then went down to the basement to clean out the hatcher, to move the eggs due to hatch on Tuesday, I set on Wednesday and hatch on Tuesday 28 days later. So I still have a half dozen eggs left in the hatcher that did not hatch. I put them on the heart monitor and the very last one still had a heartbeat and it was rocking the egg on the platform trying to pip.

It did not pip, but I could see it had a large air cell when I candled it. I chipped a hole in the shell and saw the membrane was dark and drained of blood so I continued to peel the shell back, the little bird wanted out, it kicked, and out it popped. It hatched on the 33rd day, we taped its feet and tried to rub the kink out of its neck. We have given it vitamin E to see if it will help but I think it is kinked because it was in the shell too long. Once a chick starts breathing air the bones start to harden.

I am sure it will have a little kink in its neck but it will make someone a nice yardbird.
IMG_6105.JPG
IMG_6106.JPG
IMG_6107.JPG
IMG_6108.JPG
IMG_6109.JPG
IMG_6110.JPG

Back
Top Bottom